Chapter 2

"Ha?? Eh bakit marunong ka mag-tagalog?" Matteo asked as he caught up to her.

"Kasi hindi ako Pilipino kaya marunong ako mag-tagalog. My gosh, people these days."

"Huh?" Matteo stopped and stood there, all confused.

"Ewan ko sayo," Sarah replied while walking. "Hay naku, kainis. Panira ng moment eh. Bweset. Sarap sarap ng moment ko eh, bigla kang hahablotin," Sarah mumbled to herself while she walked briskly back to her car. "Kalma, Sarah. Breathe."

"Miss, hold on! Sorry na! I really thought you were gonna kill yourself!" Matteo said as he jogged behind her.

"Ano pa magagawa ko, tapos na eh. Sinira mo na moment ko," she called out to him and walked faster, opening the trunk of her white Infiniti QX50 with the key fob.

Matteo scratched his head again and followed her. "I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't gonna stand there and watch someone take their own life."

"But I wasn't taking my own life," Sarah replied irritatingly, turning around with a sharp look in her eyes.

"Okay, okay. I said I'm sorry."

Sarah dried her legs with a towel and took a deep breath. "Look, kuya, I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm fine. You can let me be now."

"Grabe ka naman maka-kuya, I'm not that old. Wait, you sure?" Matteo looked at her.

"Yes, I'm sure."

Matteo nodded and walked back to his car a couple of meters behind her. He sat down and watched as she closed the trunk and got into the driver's seat. He didn't see anyone else in the car so he assumed she was also alone. He followed suit once she started driving. She must be heading to the mountains too, he thought to himself.

In the car, Sarah watched him through the rearview mirror and couldn't help but smile. Tapos biglang kikiligin. Baliw ka talaga, Sarah, she told herself.

She remembered his handsome features and sincere smile. The thing that struck her, though, was the fact that he was willing to extend a helping hand when he thought she, a stranger, was going to take her own life. She saw his genuine fear and concern in the way he immediately intervened with no hesitation.

"Hay, Sarah Asher, stop it. Para kang ewan, sungit sungit tapos kikiligin. Tama na yan, you're never going to see him again," she reminded herself.

She continued her drive while occasionally glancing at the rearview mirror, watching him keep a safe, yet close distance from her.

Sarah turned onto a smaller road leading to town while Matteo stayed on the highway. She got herself some breakfast and her phone rang just as she got in her car again.

"Hello, Ma?"

"Nak, I'm just checking on you. Di ka pa tumatawag, sabi mo tatawag ka pagdating mo," her mother, Gelli said from the other line.

"Sorry po, Mommy. Dumaan po ako ng breakfast and I was about to call pero naunahan nyo po ako," she lied to her mom. She had completely forgotten about calling her mother to check in with her once she got to the mountains. Checking in with her parents frequently was a condition they had before letting her go on her trip alone. Although, if it was entirely up to them, they would not have let her go by herself.

"I'm still in town, Ma, pero paakyat na po ako ng mountain. Tatawag tawagan ko po kayo throughout the day."

"Okay, anak. Ang mga bilin namin ng daddy mo, Sarah, wag kakalimutan. I-send mo sakin yung itinerary mo bago ka mawalan ng signal," her mother instructed.