Chapter 25

Their love story was like no other, at least to a lot of people, including themselves. If one was to only look on the outside, they would most likely say that they're taking their relationship way too fast.

Matteo and Sarah went on their first vacation together as strangers. They've done more activities together in their first two weeks of knowing each other than other couples who have been together for years. They have spent a week in Hawaii, a vacation that others can only dream of, only a week after meeting each other. They spent two weeks getting to know each other before they became an official couple. They've gone through so much together, and have spent more time beside each other due to circumstances, it was as though they have been together for years.

Now eight months after that fateful day at the lake when Matteo thought he was saving her from death, he decided it was the perfect time to propose to her, which Sarah willingly accepted.

What they say is true: everything happens for a reason.

Both Matteo and Sarah believe that they met for reasons they think they know, but can only hope are right because only God truly knows why. They have been each other's weaknesses, as they have also been each other's strengths. When Sarah was too afraid of activities that gave her adrenaline rush, his encouragement and comfort became her strength; when Matteo was too afraid and worried of their limited time, her fighting spirit became his strength; when Sarah was too weak from all the treatment and procedures, he carried her in his arms to be her strength; and when Matteo reached his breaking point, she gave him the hope he needed to keep going.

There is nothing more beautiful and heartwarming than seeing two people, who have fought against all odds to breathe and wake up each and everyday, find happiness in a world that has given them so much pain. They found that in each other's arms and they have no intentions of letting each other go. They will not give each other up. Not now, not ever. Not to other people, not to illness, not even to death.

What they would give to wake up every morning in the arms of each other for the rest of their lives.

"Good morning, bubba," Sarah said in her sweetest voice while carefully running her fingers through his hair.

It's their first morning after the proposal and Sarah woke up before Matteo. She laid quietly in bed for some time, tracing his facial features with her right hand without their skins touching. It seemed not too long ago when she couldn't even move her finger to hold his hand, but with hard work and God's grace, she has regained most of her sense, control and movement on the right side of her body.

After some time, she gently placed her right hand over the side of his face, her small palm cupping just enough of his cheek. "Bubba, good morning," she said again while her thumb caressed his skin.

"Hm?" Matteo stirred and turned towards her voice. "Good morning, my beautiful love," he replied sleepily with a smile, stretching his arm across to spoon her in.

Sarah chuckled and returned his embrace. "Wake up na, love. It's our last morning here, let's have breakfast in town?"

"Anything my Sarah wants, my Sarah gets," he smiled with his eyes closed. "But what about what Matteo wants?"

Matteo heard her giggle before she answered. "What does my Matteo want?"

"'My Matteo.' Ang sarap naman pakinggan nun," he said without opening his eyes.

Sarah watched him grin while he kept his eyes closed, making her smile herself. "So, what does my Matteo want nga?" She asked again, causing him to pucker up his lips asking for a kiss.

"What my Matteo wants, my Matteo gets, too," she said before giving him a tender kiss on his lips.

"Sarap," Matteo grinned and shook the giddiness off before opening his eyes. "Good morning to you, my wife."