Chapter 15

One day after waking up from her coma, her team was already hands on with getting her started on the recovery process. As expected, it was the start of an even more difficult battle for Sarah.

"I can't," she said to the nurses and physiotherapists when they were trying to sit her up for the first time since her surgery. Even the slightest movement made her nauseous and lightheaded.

Since she still has control of her trunk but has no control of her right arm and leg, the care plan for her was to sit up first before attempting therapy for her limbs.

"You can do it, Sarah. We need to get you moving as soon as possible," the nurse said sympathetically. "It's okay, we're right here."

She knew she had to move because she didn't want any more respiratory and clotting complications from immobility on top of everything that she's already dealing with. The mental and physical strength this required was beyond anything she's ever had to endure before.

"You got this, love," Matteo told her with encouragement. "You can do it. Remember when we jumped off a cliff? When you thought you couldn't do it? You ended up doing it still," he said with a smile. "Ganun din toh, bub. Hold on to me. You can do it."

Sarah closed her eyes and thought of that moment again, gathering strength to sit up. She smiled faintly as she held his hand and took a deep breath, slowly nodding to say that she was ready to try.

Her team held her and guided her in every inch that she moved until she was sitting up, but she was just feeling too unwell for it.

Matteo saw her color fade and watched as she turned pale. He panicked and ran to her back in an instant, providing support in case she fell backwards.

"I can't, I'm sorry," she said again, closing her eyes as she tightened her grip on the nurse. "I feel so lightheaded."

Matteo climbed on the bed and used his body for Sarah to lean on while she tried to keep herself up.

"You're gonna be okay, Sarah, take slow deep breaths," the nurse said.

Sarah kept her eyes shut as she took deep breaths, her lightheadedness still giving her a hard time keeping herself up. She was so dizzy and lightheaded, she really didn't know how she would ever get through the next while. But, with Matteo and her family by her side, she was hopeful she'll get through it no matter how hard it gets.

With the help of her health care team, Matteo and her family, Sarah braved each day and worked hard to get better and regain her strength. After another two days in the NCCU,  Sarah was transferred to a regular patient's room in the neurosciences department.

Now a week into therapy, Sarah still has moments of feeling down and feeling unsure of her recovery, and Matteo walked in on her having one of those moments.

Outside the window, clouds covered the sky and rain drops hit the glass. It was a gloomy day, just like her mood.

She was alone in the room, the head of her bed raised so she was sitting up as she landed her eyes on the tv. Matteo looked at what she was watching but it was turned off; she was looking at herself through the reflection on the tv while her left hand was lightly massaging her right.

"Gosh, I'm so lucky," he said softly with a smile as he walked to her bed and gave her a kiss on the cheeks. "You're so so so beautiful."

She gave him a tight smile and her gaze followed him as he sat on the bed to her right.

"Have I ever told you that you're the most beautiful person I've ever laid my eyes on?"

"Mhm."

"Well, I'm gonna say it again. You're so beautiful, love. This," he said while he caressed the side of her head, being careful not to touch the staples from the surgery, "Does not make you less beautiful."