Chapter 17

"Love?"

Sarah turned her head and saw Matteo take the empty space beside her at the bay window. She reached for his hand with her right, which he happily held, and gave it a weak squeeze.

"Are you okay, bubba?"

Sarah nodded and slowly intertwined her fingers with his, smiling as she fully clasped her hand with Matteo's.

"Okay na okay," she replied to him.

With a smile on his face, Matteo watched as she put in effort into lifting their hands, turning them over to plant a kiss on the back of his hand. It's taken her a lot of hard work through therapy, and he couldn't be happier seeing her finally get her strength back.

"I love seeing you smile, love."

"Isa ka sa mga reason nyan eh," Sarah said with a smile. "Kaya, thank you, love, for being one of my reasons to smile. Wag ka sanang mawala kahit kelan," she said while looking into his eyes.

"Remember what I told you before tayo umuwi nun na I'm here to stay? You're not going to lose me, bubba, no matter what happens," Matteo said to her, also looking into her eyes.

"Thank you," he heard her say softly.

Matteo scooted closer to Sarah and let her lean on him while they both looked outside. In the kitchen, her parents were busy cleaning up after her first lunch at home since leaving for the hospital two months ago.

"Can we go somewhere before you go home?" Sarah asked in a soft voice.

"Where would you like to go, love? Baka kung ano mangyari sayo eh."

"I just want to take you to my special spot. Please? Dito lang naman tayo sa bahay."

Matteo looked down on her and their eyes met. He leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead before nodding.

"Okay, pero mag-paalam muna tayo kina Tito and Tita, ha?"

"Thank you, love."

Just outside the perimeter of the Geronimos' 5-acre ranch was a vast meadow with a creek that runs natural spring water from the mountain nearby. Whenever Sarah needed time for herself away from other people and away from any other noise, she would always find herself sitting on the swing that hung from a tree while looking out onto the landscape.

After helping Sarah off her dad's own golf cart-like ride, she asked him to sit with her on the swing.

"Love, as much as I want to sit with you, I don't want us to break the swing."

"Hindi ah, this is strong. Kayang kaya nito yang bigat mo kahit nawala na ata abs mo kakakain mo pag nagbabantay ka sakin," Sarah said with a chuckle.

"Uy, love, grabe ka sakin ah," Matteo responded with a laugh. "Wala kaya oh, flat pa rin," he said as he lifted his shirt up to show his still-flat-and-toned stomach.

"Parang di na eh," she said while trying to pinch his skin just beside his belly button. "Ayan oh."

"Skin lang yan," Matteo said while taking her hand and kissing it before sitting down beside her.

"Ginawa ni Daddy tong swing a few years ago. Minsan kasi when they look for me, dito nila ako nahahanap tapos nandyan lang ako naka-upo sa grass. He made this for me para daw may upuan ako. Sarap kasi dito eh, I like coming here for some alone time. Eto favorite spot ko tapos yung mga kapatid ko, meron din silang spot somewhere dito sa property."

"Thank you, bubba, for sharing your special spot with me."

"Oo naman, love. Not just this, lahat I'm willing to share with you." Just as she said those words, Sarah rested her head on his shoulder. Matteo knew then what her words meant and the feeling was definitely mutual. He couldn't wait to share more with her and he began thinking of their future together. He was taken out of his thoughts when she spoke again. "Ay, just the good ones pala, bubba. Sana kung meron mang bad, we get through them quickly and we can focus on the good."