Chapter 12

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"I love you."

Sarah looked at Matteo who was just grinning at her while waiting for her response.

"Bubba, I said, I love you," he said again.

Sarah laughed and pinched his nose. "I love you too. Kanina ka pa ha."

"Pa-kiss nga, love," Matteo said as he leaned closer.

"Bubba, stop movingggg," Sarah whined as she worked on making a sketch of him.

"Kiss muna," he requested while pouting.

Sarah laughed and put the sketchpad down before leaning forward to give him a peck on the lips, making Matteo all giddy. "Now, stay still," she said, still laughing. "Parang batang nakakuha ng candy, maryosep. Boyfriend ba meron ako o little brother?"

"Batang pogi na bagay na bagay sa magandang tulad mo," Matteo said with the pogi sign.

"Wag kang malikoooot," his girlfriend scolded again. Matteo laughed as he tried to stay still while sitting at the foot of her bed. It was the night before her surgery and he stayed by her side at their house.

"Love," he called her with one of their terms of endearment.

"Hm?" Sarah hummed without looking up while concentrating on her drawing.

"I love you."

Sarah looked up at him and smiled. He's been saying that over and over but she would never get tired of hearing it from him.

"I love you too, love," she replied with a genuine smile.

"Sarap naman ng ngiting yan," he said about her smile.

"Sarap? Ano lasa?"

"Oo, masarap. I can eat it for 3 meals a day, unlimited meryendas a day."

"Bolero."

Sarah kept her mind busy as to not focus too much on the surgery and its possible outcomes. Given those possibilities, she wanted to make a sketch of Matteo before losing the ability to do so. With that, she can at least say that she made a portrait of her boyfriend herself. Just thinking about that made her happy and hopeful that she will have many more chances to make him the subject of her eye for her work, the very same person that is the subject of her heart.

"You know what I want right now, love?" Sarah asked without looking up from her pad, finishing off her first sketch of her boyfriend.

"What is it? Kiss? Come." Matteo puckered his lips before catching the pillow his girlfriend threw at him.

"Ikaw, harot mo talaga," Sarah laughed while she gave his arm a gentle pinch.

"You love me anyway," he answered with a laugh. "What is it, bub? Ano gusto mo ngayon? Kiss nga?"

"I want you here with me, bubba," Sarah said while patting the space beside her. "Tabihan mo ako."

"Sus, yun lang pala eh. If my bubba wants me by her side, then I'm gonna be right where she wants me. Kahit pa magka-dikit na tayo lagi from now on, I'll stay beside you and never leave," Matteo replied as he stood up and walked to the side of the bed to sit down beside her. "Can I see your sketch bub?" He asked while reaching for the pad.

"Wait, dito ka sa right," Sarah prompted, making him stand up to move to the other side.

"Dito na love, ganda na ng upo ko oh."