Chapter 19

It was the morning after and Sarah stood in front of her bathroom mirror, swallowing the lump in her throat while looking at the bald spots on her head. With her right hand, she slowly reached for her head and gently stroked the areas with no hair.

"Mag-gugrow ulit yan, Sarah. Your hair will grow again."

With a sigh, she looked at herself once more. "Be strong, ha?" She said to herself while staring straight into her eyes. "Kaya mo toh."

Sarah wiped her tears without taking her eyes off the mirror. "Lilipas din yung hirap. Lilipas din yung sakit. Lilipas din yung pagod. Lilipas din toh, Sarah. Kaya mo toh."

Giving herself a pep talk about staying strong and not giving up became a routine Sarah did almost everyday while she stood in front of her bathroom mirror.

"Love?" She heard Matteo's voice as he knocked on her bathroom door.

As a result of the neurological deficit from the surgery and the radiation therapy, weakness to the right side of her body can possibly be a long term problem and Sarah will be using an arm crutch until she is stable enough without one. She carefully reached for it before walking to the door.

"Here, love," she called out while wiping her face dry before opening the door.

"Love, are you okay? Are you throwing up?" Matteo asked with a worried look when they came face to face.

Sarah paused and looked at him without saying a word before taking Matteo's hand. "Di, love. I just peed," she finally answered with a smile.

"Are you sure?" Matteo couldn't help but worry, especially after her nausea and vomiting has become more frequent in the last couple of weeks.

She reached for his face and nodded before assuring him that she was okay.

"Why, love?" Matteo asked when Sarah just stared at him, a giddy smile forming as the corners of her lips curved upward.

"Ang gwapo gwapo kasi ng boyfriend ko."

"Wow naman talaga, nakaka-kilig," Matteo grinned while assisting her.

"Alam mo sino naalala ko sa get up mo today, love? Si Landon Carter."

Landon Carter from A Walk To Remember. Who doesn't know him and who doesn't know the movie?

It was hardly noticeable but his smile wavered when he heard the name. He's seen the movie and it hits way too close to home. It was definitely a compliment, knowing how much Sarah loves the movie, but his character's fate was just too painful to even think about.

"Hey, I'm no Landon Carter," he said without showing a hint of sadness in his voice. "Gianmatteo Guidicelli at your service, Ms. Sarah Asher Geronimo."

Sarah smiled at him and sat down on the edge of her bed while Matteo took the space beside her. Without saying a word, she reached for his face and lovingly caressed his jaw with her thumb. She leaned closer and he closed his eyes when she leaned in to leave gentle kisses on both of them.

"Maga kasi eh," she said softly with an apologetic smile. "Hindi ko napunasan yung mga luha mo kagabi the way you wipe mine kaya kiss ko na lang."

Sarah didn't have to be there for her to know what happened, and Matteo didn't have to say anything for her to understand how difficult their situation is for him.

In spite of the obvious struggles, he smiled and brought his hand up to hold hers that was still cupped under his jaw. "Thank you, bubba. Okay na, kiniss mo na eh."

Sarah shook her head and took a deep breath. "No, love. Thank YOU. And, I'm..."

"Shhh," Matteo quickly put his finger on her lips to stop her from apologizing again. "Please, bubba."