Chapter 22

"You're awake," Matteo said with a smile when he took a quick glance beside him.

With the passenger seat reclined to its lowest, Sarah turned to her side to face him. "Ang bilis mo, bub. Kaka-open ko pa lang ng eyes ko, as in literally, you know na agad na gising na ako," she answered with a smile.

Matteo glanced at her and gave her a cheeky smile. "Syempre, I always gotta keep an eye on the love of my life."

"Grabe naman yun, mahal ko, ang tamis. Ang sarap pakinggan," Sarah said, smiling bigger.

"Ay, mas masarap pakinggan yun. Can you say it one more time, bub?" Matteo requested with a giddy smile.

Sarah chuckled without taking her eyes off of him. "Which one, mahal ko?"

Matteo's smile widened while his shoulders shook lightly as he felt the giddiness all over him. They were both affectionate but he was more vocal about his feelings; she shows her love through physical touch and acts of service while Matteo's love language is words of affirmation. Hence, when she expresses herself in words, he can't help but feel extra giddy.

"Music to my ears," he said while his free hand reached for her hand and laced his fingers with hers.

"Bubba, ang cute mo kiligin," Sarah pointed out while giggling. "Bakit, eh mahal naman talaga kita, mahal ko."

"Wow naman talaga, ang sarap pakinggan. I love you, my love." Matteo brought her hand to his lips and gave it a sweet kiss.

"I love you more, love," Sarah replied with a smile. She watched him drive, intrigued with the smile on his face that didn't fade even in their silence. "What are you thinking of, bubba?" She finally asked, curious of what was making him smile.

"Iniisip ko lang how we met and all the things we did together. This trip is reminding me of all of that and it's so nice getting flashbacks from the moment we met at the lake to exploring Hawaii with you," he answered and smiled at her before looking at the road again. "Kakaiba story natin love, noh? Oh, and remember when you ran after me after I left the bakery?"

"Tuwang tuwa ka naman na ako ang humabol sayo eh noh, love?" She said with a tease.

"Oh, of course! It's not everyday that a Sarah Geronimo runs after you. I'll never stop bringing that up. When we tell our kids our love story, I'm gonna tell them their mom was the one that ran after me."

"Literally ran after you," Sarah laughed. "Nagpigil pigil pa kasi ako eh, ayan, napahabol ako."

"Gosh you made me so happy that day, love."

"Ikaw din, love, you made me so happy that day, and every single day after that hanggang ngayon," Sarah said with a genuine smile.

"I'm happy when you're happy, bub, and I'll continue to make you happy for the rest of our lives," Matteo smiled back, giving her hand a loving caress before looking back at the road in front of them. "And we're gonna go on many many more trips. It feels so nice to be back on the road with you again. I missed this, bubba."

"You have no idea how much I've missed this, bub," Sarah replied. "Thank you for doing this with me."

"You're always welcome, love, and it's always a pleasure going on a road trip with you. Can you imagine, we were strangers when we went on our first road trip together and now we're at it again as a couple. Ang galing, noh? Medyo baliktad," he said with a chuckle, amused with their one of a kind story.

"Medyo unique nga yung love story natin noh, bubba?"

"Unique and extraordinary. Like you," Matteo said with a genuine smile.