10 / 24

A/N: Platonic yandere

You supposed it was a little bit your fault. You'd just been in such a grumpy mood all day and your 'father' hadn't understood your silent plea to be left alone. While you didn't have to snap at him the way you did, he also hadn't needed to drag you down to the basement.

It was late fall and nights in the basement weren't as bearable as they were in the summer. In the summer it was cool and a refuge from the heat. But in cooler weather? The basement only made everything worse for you.

It didn't help that you had been damp when he'd thrown you down here. In fact, you had just gotten out of the shower and were in the process of drying your hair when you'd had your argument. Now, your damp hair was working against you. Soaking into the back of your pajama top and making you shiver even more.

You were curled up in a corner for warmth and hoped you'd be let out before morning. 

--------

You could vaguely make out muffled talking. You didn't have the will power to open your eyes, staying wherever you were as the person attempted to shake you. Were they saying your name?

"Y... Y/N!" The person called, making you flinch. Why did they have to be so loud? It only resulted in your head hurting even more than it had previously. You let out a low groan and the person stopped shaking you.

Something was wrapped around your shoulders before you were hoisted into someone's arms. They were moving, quickly, but you couldn't tell where. You also didn't have the energy to care about where you were going.

The person carrying you was still talking, but you couldn't process the words or their meanings. Your brain refused to cooperate. Finally, the person stopped moving, and then you were surrounded my warmth. You passed out in record time.

--------

"...and then they both fell in love and devoted themselves to each other, living happily ever after." A voice invaded your sleep, reading familiar stories. It was 'father' or the man who called himself your father. In reality, he'd been one of your regulars at your part time cafe job. Just another man in a nice suit who stopped by every day when you had your shift.

You hadn't realized his true power until you'd watched him threaten your boss and his family for an outstanding debt. When both men had noticed you, your boss had saved himself by offering up you. 

Your parents had died and you were an orphan, constantly bouncing from foster home to foster home. It wasn't like anyone would miss you and your boss had realized that. The man, you would later learn his name to be Nicholas Martinez, had accepted your boss' offer with a grin.

His voice had always stood out to you whenever he ordered. He had a faint accent and a memorable tone and vocal pattern. It was that same voice reading to you right now. It was that same voice, gently breaking the chains of sleep and loosening the grip your fever had on your mind. Your eyes slowly opened a little.

"Shhhh. You're alright Y/N. Do you need anything? Some water? Some food?" You nodded at water and 'father' brought a cup to your lips, helping you drink. In his lap lay a book of fairy tales.

"Rest for me, hmm? I promise you'll never have to go back down there again so please get better." His voice was full of guilt as he gently helped you lay back down. You closed your eyes as he started to read once again.

"Once upon a time, in a land far far away..."