Prologue

It was a cold but clear night in Fontaine. Most shops had already closed for the day, leaving only a few people still out and about in the streets. Small streetlights decorated the stone roads, providing enough light for anyone who may still be around to see where they were going.

Off in the distance, the sounds of laughter and music wafted out of a bar as people celebrated the arrival of another weekend.

It would have seemed like a peaceful evening, but then again, in Fontaine, things were rarely ever as they seemed.

A cloaked figure currently making their way down the street knew this all too well, their steps silent even as their shoes tapped against the stone streets. They may have seemed suspicious at any other time, with their hood pulled up to hide their hair and face, but on a night with temperatures as harsh as this one, a person walking around in a cloak was hardly an abnormal sight.

Of course, this person was by no means normal in their own right. Violet eyes peaked out from under his hood, surveying the area around him with a keen focus. He nodded politely at a couple who were walking past him now, both of them smiling in response, before continuing on his way; as if searching for something.

He passed by a set of tall buildings now, not sparing a glance at the girl wedged between their tightly packed walls and facing one of the nearby homes.

The girl's catlike ears twitched as she craned her neck to better hear the sounds going on in the house across the street. She, too, was cloaked, though occasionally her tail would move at her back, ruffling the cotton fabric ever so slightly. Her own purple eyes remained focused on the building ahead, where only one light was currently seen on the bottom floor.

Curtains had been drawn to cover the windows though, leaving only small cracks that let said light out. Only, the one window they had forgotten to cover was the small, circular one that rested on the front door.

Through it, the girl with the cat ears could just make out the figures of a group of three tall men. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but then, she didn't have to.

The sounds of footsteps nearby caught her attention and she turned her head to see a fourth man making his way towards the building with great haste. Not only that, though; a small child was draped over his back, as if the man was giving him a piggy-back ride. The child was asleep, and any other passersby might have taken them to be a simple father and son making their way home for the night.

But Lynette knew better than that.

She kept her eyes trained on the two; barely even blinking as her intense gaze followed them down the street. Finally, they stopped in front of the very home she had been observing before, and the tall man took out a key from his pocket. She couldn't see the object very well from here, but from what she could tell, the key seemed to have a very fancy golden design at the back.

Turning it in the lock and pushing the door open, the man entered the home with the little boy still asleep on his back. Though, unconscious was probably a better word to describe his current state.

The other three men, who had seemed to be talking before, all stopped and turned to the newcomers now. If Lynette could have seen their facial expressions, her stomach would have churned from the sight of their eerie smiles.

They all stepped aside to allow the new man to pass, revealing a door behind them that the girl hadn't noticed before. Though, its presence didn't surprise her either.

She could see the child beginning to stir now, and that fact was not lost on the men either as the one that had been carrying him on his back lowered him to the floor. The poor boy seemed like he was hardly able to stand; his knees wobbling as he put his arms out like a bird to steady himself.