4

A/n: By the way, this book will now be updating every Friday and Saturday since my other book, Call Me, is finished!

..........

"Come along now, my Voltaris." The brown haired woman called out, turning back to the small child that was crouched near the water a short distance away. The child, upon hearing their name, turned their head to see her reaching a hand out towards them. "It's time for us to get going."

Seeing the giant mecha behind her, they eagerly raced over and took her hand now, hoping she'd let them ride on its shoulders like she usually did. With the child safely in her grasp, she turned to the huge machine with a nod that made it outstretch one of its own hands towards them.

Once its hand was resting on the ground in front of them, she pulled the child onto it with her. Then, it lifted them both up so that they were comfortably resting in its cupped hands.

"Miss Sandrone?" The child asked once the robot had started moving, tugging ever so gently on their master's sleeve. She turned to them with an expression as kind as ever, yet they were too young to notice the slight malice hiding behind her eyes.

"Yes, Voltaris?" She replied in a warm tone.

"May I ride up there?" They asked, pointing to the mecha's shoulder, which had just enough space for a child of their size to sit on. The woman's eyes flitted up to it, pausing for a moment before nodding.

"I suppose you may." She replied as she took a seat in the robot's hand now. After all, the city was still a ways away, so it would be a while until they arrived. "Just be sure not to damage anything." Voltaris quickly nodded, smiling brightly as they carefully climbed up the machine and onto its shoulder. Sandrone watched them until they were comfortably seated on it; one arm wrapped around the automation's neck. Once they were settled, she turned her gaze back to the path ahead, where they were now approaching the small train station that rested at the outer edge of Fontaine.

Both parties remained silent as they boarded the train while still being carried by the big robot. Once they were comfortably resting inside one of the larger train cars and the vehicle had begun moving, the beautiful woman brought out a book to read to pass the time. She had brought nothing for the young child, however, and they quickly became board on the silent journey.

"Miss Sandrone?" They spoke up, pulling her away from the mechanical principles she'd been reading up on. Holding back her irritation, she turned to look at them.

"What is it?"

"Why do you call me Voltaris?" The child asked, a question that had been burning in their mind for months now. "My name is Y/n."

The brown haired woman sighed, turning back to her book. "Because that is the name I gave you," she replied simply, "So as long as you are under my care, you will answer to it." She had hoped this would be enough to appease you, but it seemed she was wrong because you spoke again.

"What does it mean?" She wasn't sure whether you were just trying to pass the time with these trivial questions or if you were actually curious, but either way, she wished the incessant chatter would stop.

"It means you are my protégé," she explained simply, "You are not like other children, Voltaris. You are smart and talented, which is why I now care for you, instead of your parents. It's also why I'm teaching you everything I know about mechanics."