Chapter 2 : The interview

I was sitting in a long corridor with about 20 other people. I was analysing the expressions of every other person who had come for the interview. After every 5 minutes a bell rang, the previous interviewee came out of the room with either a content or a gloomy expression on their face and a voice from the speaker called out the name of the next interviewee.

I was happy to see that I wasn't the only person who was anxious as almost everyone else was either fidgeting with their fingers, tapping their feet, shaking their knees restlessly, fixing their spectacles constantly, cracking their knuckles or wiping their sweaty hands on their pants. My comfort mechanism to deal with such situations was biting my nails or chipping away the skin surrounding my nails.

I waited for another 15 minutes as I kept seeing people go in and come out of the glass door of the interview room. Finally, the alarm rang again and a voice announced "Riya Sharma please proceed to the office for the interview".

I took a deep breath, adjusted my hair with my hands and pushed open the glass door.

Inside was a big room. One wall was completely covered with glass that allowed one to see the entire city from there. How tiny the buildings looked from there.

I glanced at the name plate kept on the table in front of me. It read Ms. Anika Mehra. The name rang a bell and I suddenly remembered reading a magazine last week - Anika Mehra becomes the youngest leading businesswoman in India.

And now she was sitting in front of me with her chair facing the other way as she was looking out of the window. From the corner of the chair I could only see her hand spinning a metal pen and the gold watch on her wrist with embedded diamonds.

Suddenly my mind flashed back to the bar yesterday and I remembered the hand that carried me to the room, was wearing the same watch-
"Ms. Riya Sharma, pls take the seat in front of instead of looking around". I twitched. There was something so soothing yet intimidating about her voice.

I quickly pulled back the chair and sat completely upright. The chair in front of me turned around.

So this is the infamous Anika Mehra. She was wearing a white shirt with black tie and black jeans. She had steel rimmed spectacles and wavy brown hair till her shoulder. She was looking at the documents in front of her.

There was something enticing about her. She glanced up at me for a second, narrowed her eyebrows and looked back at the documents. That's when I remembered that look. She is the same person I had sex with!! 8 billion people in this world and I ended up in bed with a girl and that too Anika Mehra, who is now about to interview me-

She kept down her pen, got up, pushed her chair into the desk, leaned on it and looked at me. I met her eyes but had to look away. I have always had a problem maintaining eye contact but somehow she was making me extremely nervous. Her face was completely expressionless but there was something so captivating abt her eyes. Even though she seemed full of herself, there was a certain glimpse of exhaust and loneliness in her eyes. The sunlight entering from the window made the strands of hair covering her face, appear golden.

"So, tell me about yourself, Ms. Riya Sharma". Whenever she pronounced my name with such emphasis, I shivered.
" I am Riya Sharma... I have completed my graduation from the Technological Institution of Delhi... I have done my masters in Computer Science... "
As I kept speaking, she walked around the table and stood behind me. Suddenly, she placed a hand on my shoulder. It was so warm. I closed my eyes. I could feel my forehead sweating even though it was winter and chilly outside. I could feel her bend down. Her hand slowly slid down my shoulder. I gulped. I had stopped breathing for a moment. Her hands stopped right above my chest, she took out the handkerchief from my pocket and wiped the corner of my forehead.

"Calm down. I don't bite unless u want me to", she whispered in a relaxed tone. I could feel her lips curl up in a grin as her warm breaths sent a shiver throughout my body, like I had been electrocuted, just by her words.

"I asked u about yourself. I already know everything about your qualifications. Tell me why should I hire u? " She moved back, walked towards her chair and sat down, leaned against her chair and placed one leg on top of the other.

I felt like she was mocking me. "I think I am the perfect person for this job because of my ability to pick up information and skills fast, my vivid knowledge about this field and my dedication towards my goal. Also, my punctuality and my hardworking nature are going to be of great use for your respected company. "

While I kept speaking, Anika's gaze was tracing my body from my toe to my waist and suddenly stopped at my chest. She gave another smirk. At first, I was furious but when I glanced at my chest, I realised, my nipples were as hard as rock and the impression was clearly visible over my shirt. My face turned red.

"It's fine. You may go now. You will be informed whether you have been selected or not through a phone call".
I held the file containing my CV close to my chest to cover my erect nipples and walked out of the room.

As soon as I closed the door behind me, all my confidence melted away and for a moment I just leaned against the wall, with my eyes closed and breathed properly for the first time, after the most nerve wracking and embarrassing 10 minutes of my life.

I am definitely not getting the job. I messed up so bad. But at least it's good that I won't have to face her again. I would die of embarrassment. Though I am a bit sad I didnt get the job but I think it's for the best, as I would rather die than have someone as arrogant as her as my boss.