Chapter 11: Someone returns

Riya's POV:

Life had been the best it could be the past week. I blushed everytime i crossed paths with her while she tried not to look at me to maintain the impression that our relationship is only restricted to the office . I guess she didn't want to ignite any rumors or speculations and wanted things to be simple. And I liked it as it was. Though once in a while when she found me alone in the corridors, she gave me a little smile or an eyebrow raise or traced her gaze over my body and scanned me. Whatever she did, made me feel butterflies.

The IPL match between Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings was about to take place today in our city and I bought 2 tickets for me and my father as he always wanted to watch the match in a stadium but never really got the chance cause he had to keep working hard without any leave. By 6 30, I finished my work and packed my belongings to leave the office.

On the way to the door, I collided with someone. She was a tall woman, with brown hair which had red streaks. She looked slightly older than me and wore golden rimmed spectacles. She was wearing a tight shirt with formal pants. She seemed like a wealthy and elegant woman.

I apologised but she just narrowed her eyes at me. She picked up the ID card which was around my neck and read my name. "Riya Sharma? Watch your way", she said with a nasty attitude which I completely despised. She had an eerie aura and I didnt wanna mess with her cause she seemed like she was some wealthy bitch. Also, I had more important things to care about. "I sincerely apologise, miss", I replied trying to hide my annoyance. "The name's Helena", she replied, patted my shoulder and walked straight towards Anika's office. I had never seen her before in this office. I didnt think much of the interaction and thought maybe she is someone related to Anika or just another rich investor here for a meeting.

The match started. Me and my father reached there on time. I was elated to see his excitement. He thanked me for fulfilling his dream.

"By the way, Riya beta, you turned 26 this year. Dont you think its a good age to get married soon?"
"Papa, please, I'm not ready yet"-
"But beta, you promised that I can start searching for a good husband for you once you get a good job and are financially stable"
"But papa"-
"No buts. Beta, see, I dont know for how long Ill be alive. And its my wish that before dying I can see you marrying a good guy who I know will take care of you. My heart is already weak and I have a lot of health issues. But if you marry in time then maybe, Ill be able to meet my grandkids too. Anyways, I have found a really good guy for you."-
"papa, please not this again. Now lets enjoy the match. We will talk about all this later calmly."
"okay okay"

Anika's Pov :

Someone opened the door to my cabin and came in. "Don't you have the basic manner to knock before entering"-
"I don't think I need to take permission to meet you, my dear Anika".
That voice!! This can't be! My heart stopped beating as soon as I heard it and I gulped. I wasn't even getting the courage to look up. Why is she here after so many years? What does she want?
"Still too shy to look into my eyes, Anika? You haven't changed a bit."
I take a breath and look up. Those eagle eyes that can cut through anyone's skin. That smile that makes u feel like you are just a speck of dirt in her world. All those memories come flooding back. I try to hide my discomfort due to her appearance.

"Why are you here Helena? What do you want after so many damn years", I try to say calmly but end up almost losing my cool.
" To take back what belongs to me", she says with a smile.
"I don't think I have anything that belongs to you".
"Oh you do. It's you".
What? What the fuck does she mean by that?
"I think you should leave cause I do not belong to anyone, especially not you"
"Calm down, Anika. Looks like all these years made you disobedient and arrogant. Others may be scared by it but please don't show it to me. It annoys me. I know who you really are behind that facade that you put up. It can fool others. But underneath all those layers of courage, you are just a sensitive little slut. But I like that. So I want you to come back to your master."
I get up from my chair.
"Stop the fucking show and get out of my office if you don't want me to call the security on you."
"Oh you want it to be like that? Playing hard to get? Anyways I like games so ill play. Just know, no one has the power to touch me so calling guards on me wont scare me. Anyways I guess you are in a bad mood today and you need time to process so Ill leave you alone for today. But we will meet again".
She exits. I fall back to my chair and close my eyes. My breaths have become heavier and my heart is beating faster. I have so many questions to ask her. But I can't let her see that she still makes me weak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Author's note:  You can now access the Spotify playlist of THE OFFICE AFFAIR from the prologue. The link is there.