Chapter 72: Royal Formalities

The orange glow of twilight descended upon Hyrule's desert, including the town in its center. While this would usually be the time the townsfolk began closing down their colorful stalls and shops, this evening, they were eagerly crowded near the large sandstone steps leading to the palace. They spoke in whispers, trying to be quiet in the hopes of hearing a stray word or scandalous shout taking place within the palace walls, even though they knew they wouldn't be able to hear a word from the bottom of the staircase. While the townsfolk loitered outside, those inside the palace spoke in formal tones.

"Princess of Hyrule, I accept your proposition without hesitation," a powerful voice echoed through the palace.

The voice belonged to the chief of the Gerudo, a tall, dark-skinned woman with the signature thick, red hair of her people, who looked every bit as strong as her tone suggested. She sat upon her throne, guards armed with spears and claymores standing on either side of her as she gazed down at her current visitors—three fair-skinned women much shorter than the others in the room. Two of the women were attired in the basic dresses and hair coverings of attendants. Yet the woman with the chief's complete attention was the princess, clothed in her beautiful, familiar royal blue dress, her golden hair smooth and loose down her back with her tiara sitting at top. The princess looked up into the chief's narrowed eyes.

"Not only are they planning to resurrect Calamity Ganon, but it seems the Yiga Clan is also after our treasured heirloom," she continued.

She glanced over at a nearby pedestal crafted of the same sandstone as her throne, where a large, bejeweled, golden helmet rested, sparkling in the waning light of sunset.  After closing her eyes for a moment in contemplation, she turned back to the princess, her chin raised confidently.

"You have my word. I won't rest until Calamity Ganon falls."

At this, the princess raised her hands and clasped them together in front of her chest.

"Gerudo Chief Urbosa, on behalf of Hyrule and its king, I thank you," she said, her voice cultured and proper as she bowed in appreciation, mimicked by the two behind her.

The next time the princess and chief spoke was only a few hours later, long after the sun had set and the moon had risen. Instead of a formal reception with all eyes upon them, this time, they spoke alone—free from the towering sandstone walls of not only the palace but the town itself. The two ventured away from the prying eyes and ears of the Gerudo townsfolk, laughing as they walked the outside perimeter of the town walls, treading carefully over the sandy dunes.

"That was quite the show we put on, wasn't it?" Urbosa teased. "You've grown into a mighty fine woman, able to handle such an important discussion on your own."

"You're praising me? I could hardly keep from laughing!" Zelda said cheerfully as she walked beside the Gerudo chief. "It felt so strange to speak to you so...formally. I understand such formalities are important no matter how close we are, but I was still amazed at how well you managed to guide me throughout the entire meeting. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen you so serious, Urbosa!" 

Urbosa chuckled before giving a melancholic hum.

"Oh my, I can't say the same,"  she replied after a moment's pause. "I remember back ten years ago when you rarely smiled, my little bird."

At the name, Zelda thoughtfully furrowed her brow.

"Urbosa, I feel like you've called me little bird before," she said, skipping ahead a little as the Chief slowly came to a stop in the sand. "I was wondering where you got that name from."