1. Half Human

To find food on Earth is no easy task after the alien invasion twenty five years ago. Everything has regressed to a colonial era, but with a twist: the colonizers now have blue skin, reminiscent of Smurfs—creatures from animations I've never seen, but people often describe them that way.

And then there's me.

"Move away, traitor!" It's an insult I hear frequently, even though my mother tries to shield me from it. I learned its meaning faster than she expected, hearing it so often. Being different due to my unique skin color, or the initial horror people express when they see me—until they realize I pose no threat, standing next to my human mother.

Yes, I'm half human and half alien—the result of my mother's illicit relationship with an extraterrestrial being she claimed was her first love. Love, my ass. The alien left her after making grand promises to return and take her to his planet, which he described as far more beautiful than our dilapidated Earth.

On this ravaged planet, crime runs rampant, and jobs are scarce. Especially for people like me, who missed out on formal education because all institutions were destroyed when the alien ships arrived. My only teacher was my mother, who thankfully imparted reading, writing, and basic numeracy skills. These abilities are crucial for what I do now: selling the produce we grow on the outskirts of town.

"The price is less than half the normal rate," I told the man, clutching the sack I'd offered him earlier. I attempted to negotiate, rationalizing the irrational.

"Normal prices are reserved for normal people," he retorted angrily.

No matter how often I hear it, the word "normal" remains foreign to my tongue. Despite my human mother, I don't feel like Earth truly belongs to me. Gradually, my resentment for this planet has grown until all I desire is to escape. And it all boils down to one thing: marriage.

The old man scrutinized me, his eyebrows arching high. Instinctively, I pulled my hood over my face and wrapped my mother's scarf around my mouth.

"Why don't you join the wedding program?" he asked, and panic surged within me. I snatched the coins he offered, abandoned my bag of produce, and sprinted away like lightning.

Earth's population of blue-skinned aliens dwindles due to an unknown plague that has wiped out women entirely. In exchange for food and energy, the governments now barter mature women. Prostitution is no longer taboo. These women stand by the roadside, their clothing leaving nothing to the imagination. Yet, the government's actions sound cruel to my ears.

No one has heard from the women who participate in this program. Poverty persists, food remains scarce, and energy shortages persist. The rich grow richer while the poor suffer.

Living conditions vary drastically. The wealthy inhabit strictly guarded enclaves—areas reminiscent of Earth before the invasion. Meanwhile, the lower middle class resides in precarious buildings that could collapse with a single touch. Uninhabitable, indeed.

My case is different. My mother and I weren't even allowed to live there. We built a humble hut on the outskirts of town because a "monster" like me couldn't walk among humans without inciting fear. So they cast us out—my mother and me, both born during those tumultuous times.

My feet propelled me at high speed until I escaped the city. One hand clutched my chest, the bone-chilling cold air searing my lungs.

I glanced back, ensuring no one pursued me. For seven years, I'd lived with eyes perpetually on my back, hiding behind my mother until our situation became untenable.

Into the forest I stepped, its furrows welcoming each footfall. The dense canopy of tall trees shielded me from the dual suns' harsh rays. This forest was my protective barrier—a place where encounters with humans grew scarce. Terrifying tales of wild creatures lurking within helped keep them away.

My house came into view. Mother knelt, tending to something in the soil beside our dwelling. The only remnant from the alien onslaught was this fertile land. Farming remained possible, a means to sustain ourselves—our alternative to prostitution and drugs.

"Cookie Monster, did you forget to buy bread?" Mother spun around as a dry twig snapped under my foot. Her eyes darted to my empty hands, lips pursed.

I slapped my forehead, berating my own foolishness. Panic had triggered my flight, and I'd neglected the most crucial task: exchanging our produce for bread in town.

Telling Mother about the earlier encounter would only fuel her anxiety, preventing her from allowing me to go in her stead. "I'll return tomorrow. For now, let's feast on sweet potatoes—I'll prepare them for dinner." I dashed into the house, catching the worry etching her expression.

"Cookie, what's wrong?"

"I forgot. The city was chaotic, so I hurried home. Tomorrow morning, I'll head back."

"Why not let me go to town?"

"Don't. You can't bear that burden. Within five steps, your waist would give way."

Mom gasped. I wouldn't fall for her trick of pretending to be hurt just to make me give in. "I brought you into this world, you know. Do you realize how much you weighed at birth? Six kilograms. And my total weight gain before you were born? Twenty-five kilograms."

My mouth moved in sync with every word she spoke. I'd heard this refrain thousands of times throughout my twenty-five years of life.

"Yes, yes. I'm well aware. You are strong." I sighed. "But now, you can't even venture into the city anymore. Remember three months ago when I found you on the road to town at night because you couldn't walk any farther?"

Mom chuckled, and I knew she'd veered off from our original topic. She was busy constructing sentences to salvage her self-esteem.

**

Hi, this is my first story in english. Since english isnt my mother tounge, please forgive me if there are any mistakes in my writing. :)