Chapter Five

He and Yibo didn't see each other for three weeks. They seem to be avoiding each other. And Zhan's parents noticed that.

"Are you and Yibo fighting, Zhan?" Fengmian asked once they were in front of the dinner."N-no, Daddy. Why did you ask?" He tried to meet Fengmian's eyes and bowed to the plate again.

"Yibo used to be here all the time if you weren't with them. And why wasn't Yibo the one who brought the invitation here for Quiren and Carmen's anniversary?"

"Dad, you know how busy Yibo in the bank is," Zhan reasoned. He reached for a dish even though he hadn't even touched the first one he took. "And Yibo has a girlfriend, Dad. How will he split his time?"

"You're right," Fengmian agreed. "Yibo's first month's report at the branch is good. I'm just not used he is not coming here as often as before. How many years have it been..." Fegnmian purposely didn't finish what he was saying. "Besides work, his girlfriend might be jealous if Yibo is spending time with others than her," said Yizuan.

"That's one of the things I thought about also. Why, coz this son of mine is so beautiful more than girls, so others can't help but be jealous," Fengmian smiled and stared at his son who forced a smile.

"My head will get bigger, Daddy..." Zhan said, smiling. But deep inside him, he felt the intense sadness in the three weeks that he and Yibo did not see each other.

💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️

Zhan was in his room listening to music. He had already locked himself in his room so when he excused himself to his parents that he had a headache and seemed to have a fever, they didn't ask why he couldn't attend Yibo's parents' party.

Tonight was Yibo's parents' wedding anniversary. And for many years he never fails to celebrate with them. But how will he deal with Yibo in a normal way after what happened to them? Their parents will surely notice his awkwardness.

He lies on the bed and closes his eyes. He wants to sleep even if it is only half past eight. If he is awake, Yibo is always on his mind. When he felt the door to his room open, he immediately spoke.

"Nana, I don't want to have dinner. I want to sleep."

"Are you really sick or are you just making excuses?"

Zhan jumped up at the familiar voice. "W-what are you doing here?"

"And why didn't you go with your mommy and daddy? Why did you have to lie?" Anger and weariness in Yibo's voice.

"My head really aches," Zhan said. "I'm not feeling well since this morning."

"And you expect me to believe that?" Yibo snapped.

"You should?" Zhan looked away.

"You never failed to attend my parents' wedding anniversary party, Zhan. Even when you came back from chicken pox, you attended scaring almost everyone," Yibo's anger was tinged with amusement at the memory of that event.

He had nothing to answer. If it wasn't for the seeming wall that separated them, he would have wanted to smile at that memory too. Almost all visitors want to avoid him because his face and body still have traces of chicken pox. Except for Yibo who laughed and pulled him into the garden.

Yibo spoke again. "The party's just started. Get dressed. I don't want to face the many questions about why you're not there."

When Zhan remained unmoving, "I'll carry you to the pickup even if you're only wearing a T-shirt and shorts," Yibo warned.

💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️

"Zhan," Carmen greeted Zhan upon seeing him entering the gate with Yibo. It's just a small party with a few close friends. In fact, there were less than ten tables, but the garden and the entire lawn were bright.

"It's good that Yibo picked you up. Ziyuan said you were not feeling well."

"He's fine now, Mom," Yibo said when Zhan had nothing to say. "I let him drink a mat of paracetamol."

"Yibo!" Carmen exclaimed.

Zhan kissed the old woman on the cheek. "Happy anniversary, Auntie..." and seeing Quiren approaching, Zhan greeted him and also kissed and congratulated him.

"Thank you. Come inside, Zhan," Quiren turned to Yibo. "Cheng Xiao has been looking for you, Yibo. She wants to announce your engagement and upcoming wedding."

Carmen snorted. "There's no need. When we introduced her as your girlfriend, she always ended up telling each and every one about your wedding."

Yibo pulled Zhan into the house and they passed by the side into the living room, they had friends sitting on the sofa and waved at the two. Yibo approached the sound system and played some music.

"Cheng Xiao is looking for you," Zhan whispered as Yibo wrapped him around the waist to dance right across from the sound system. "Didn't you hear what your Dad said?" Zhan asked.

But Yibo didn't seem to understand what he was saying. Wrapped Zhan in his arms and swayed him to dance.

I can't remember when you weren't there
When I didn't care for anyone but you
l swear, we've been through everything there is,
can't imagine anything we've missed
Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do
Through the years...You've never let me down,
you've turn mylife around
I swear, you've taught me everything
Can't imagine needing someone so,
But through the years it seems to me
l need you more and more...
throughout the good times and bad times...

"I missed you terribly, sweetheart," Yibo whispered huskily and pulled Zhan closer to him. "I'm not used to not seeing each other and talking, friend."

"Me, too, friend," Zhan whispered. He let himself enjoy the feeling of the warmth of Yibo's chest. Revelled at the pleasure of being in Yibo's arms again. Smelling the so familiar scent. "Me, too."

Yibo pulled him away slightly and stared at him. A smile played on his lips. "Let's eat out tomorrow at noon. I'll pick you up."

Zhan was infected by the smile and smiled too. "Fine as long as you pay for it."

Yibo's smile was tender as he gazed at his lovely face. "When did I allow you to pay?"

Zhan couldn't answer when a hand grabbed Yibo's arm.

"You're just here, darling. I've been looking for you for a while," said Cheng Xiao. He seemed to want to eat Zhan with the look she gave him before gently pulling Yibo away from him.

"Don't forget tomorrow," Yibo said before turning away completely.

The slight pleasure Zhan felt was overlaid with deep sadness and pain in his chest as he followed the sight of his friend with Cheng Xiao.