Chapter Seventeen

"I just want you to answer one question, Yibo. Do you love me?"

Yibo dropped his head again on the back of the sofa. Staring at the ceiling. The girl looked at him.

"Cheng Xiao..."

"Be honest about this."

Yibo let out a long breath. "I...I thought I did."

Cheng Xiao nodded emotionlessly. "I should have known. Or it's more correct to say, I should have noticed. Even once, you didn't tell me you loved me. I just assumed because we're good together," she laughed drily. "...in bed."

"I'm sorry..."

She sighed bitterly. "So, do I. Because I promised myself, I could make you mine. I just fooled myself. You were never mine from the very start. In my relationships with other men, I don't easily get threatened by the presence of a best friend. Many people told me that you and Zhan have been really close since you were children. Sure. But my instinct told me otherwise. Now I know," she laughed heartily again.

At that moment Yibo's CP rang. On the third ring, he answered.

"No!" Instant fear and worry rose in his chest. "I'm coming," in a few steps he reached the door of the apartment. Then he suddenly stopped and looked at Cheng Xiao. "There's an emergency at home. Can we continue this conversation some other time?" Cheng Xiao shook her head. "No, Yibo. This is goodbye. And don't worry, I'll get by."

Yibo hesitated for a moment and hurried out.

On the way he almost blew his car. Zhan was at the cottage when he got a stomachache. Fifteen minute's walk from the cottage to the Xiao's house. But because Zhan couldn't walk fast in his condition, it took longer.

But Zhan was walking on purpose as an exercise. He does not anticipate early labor. And he was bleeding when he reached home. Ziyuan immediately rushed her son to the hospital.

''Mom!" Yibo called when he saw his mother at the information desk. "How's Zhan doing?"

"He's too weak and he's having a hard labor. He'll probably have a caesarean according to the doctor," she continued walking towards the DR while speaking.

"Why is that?" Yibo asked in a panic. "His OB didn't say anything about caesarean? And 'Mom, he's only in his eight!'"

"Don't add to everyone's panic, Yibo," scolded Carmen on the fear in Yibo's voice. "Let's just hope and pray that he'll get through this smoothly." Outside the DR, his dad was there talking to Fengmian.

Ziyuan was sitting quietly on the bench. She raised a worried face when he approached. "How is Zhan doing, Aunt?"

"His doctor hasn't come out yet and―" They turned to the door of the DR when it opened, and Zhan's doctor came out. She immediately approached Yibo.

"Your husband will have to have a caesarean section, Mr. Wang. The child is struggling, and your husband is very weak from fear and blood loss," the doctor explained.

"Doctor," Fengmian approached. "It's not Yibo--"

"Please do all you need to do, Doctor," Yibo interrupted Fengmian.

"I'll sign the necessary documents. And Doctor... I want to be by Zhan's side when you perform the operation." The doctor nodded. "The attendant will give you what you need to sign." And the doctor reentered the DR."

"Yibo, we thank you for saving our son from shame," Fengmian. "But you forgot when you said that, the child will follow your name."

Neither could Yibo's parents speak. Yibo was confused. Afraid of the possible consequences for Zhan and their child. He wanted to tell everyone that he was the father.

Ziyuan answered. "Yibo is always with Zhan for check-ups so maybe Dr. Lim thought he was the husband."

The attendant came out and made Yibo sign the papers agreeing to cesarean Zhan. He also brought a blue robe and ordered Yibo to put it on and follow inside. Everyone was left speechless.

💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️

"Sweetheart," Yibo whispered between the mask placed on his face. Grabbed Zhan's hand.

"G-Ge..." Zhan answered weakly when he recognized the voice.

"Sshh. I will be with you. I won't leave you... I promise," said Yibo emotionally.

Zhan turned pale. "I-I'll try to be brave," his eyes were spinning due to the Demerol.

But his hold on Yibo's palm tightened. He felt safe and secured.

"I love you, Xiao Sean Zhan... I love you," Yibo said hurriedly as Zhan closed his eyes. With a panicked voice, he wanted to chase Zhan's consciousness. "Dream on that, sweetheart..." Yibo planted a soft kiss on Zhan's dry lips.

"Please stand here you are at his headside, Mr. Wang," the anesthesiologist said.

💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️💚💛❤️

"Mom," Zhan said with a dry throat when he opened his eyes. "You're awake, Zhan," Yizuan immediately approached her son.

"How are you feeling?" Zhan felt his stomach. What's there is the bandage. "W-what is my child, Mom?"

"A boy," Ziyuan answered with a smile. "And a girl, Zhan."

His eyebrows met. "W-what?"

"You gave birth to twins," Ziyuan announced excitedly. "The doctor didn't see it in your early ultrasound because the other was covered by one. Also, you didn't get another ultrasound after that..."

"A-are... they alright?"

"Thank God, and all of you are not in danger. The two babies are in the incubator because they are premature. But they are alright. Your Daddy and Quiren and Carmen are there. They are peeking at the twins."

He silently thanked God. There is joy in his heart that his children are safe. Twins! He couldn't believe it. That's why he could barely breathe when his stomach was growing. After all, there were two of them.

He wanted to ask his mother about Yibo but there seemed to be a blockage in his throat. He closed his eyes. Trying to remember what seemed like a dream. He heard Yibo's voice.

"I won't leave you... I promise..."

"I love you, Xiao Sean Zhao... I love you..."

Zhan smiled faintly. He must have dreamed it all. But he was sure that thought gave him strength.

"I'll go out first, Zhan, and I'll buy you some hot soup." Ziyuan picked up her bag. "Would you like something to eat or buy?"

"Whatever you bring, Mom..." he said and closed his eyes again. He wanted to recall the dream.

At least in his dreams, he could hear those words.