𝐹𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇: 𝐼𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌 𝑜𝒻 𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓈𝓅𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓃𝓉 𝒮𝑜𝓊𝓁𝓈

Sebastian stood in the mirror in his dormitory. He was lousily tying his emerald green tie, dreading the night ahead. His glistening brown eyes were filled with despair.

It was Halloween night; the night of the annual masquerade ball.

A year ago, Sebastian's life was completely different than what it was now, but also very similar at the same time. History always seemed to be repeating itself in his life. He once patched the broken relationship between him and Rosalie by attending Sir Nicholas's Deathday party with her, but now... he was barely in her life and he knew it was better this way. He couldn't hurt her again, and the selfish part of Sebastian always seemed to leak through. He didn't think he could ever live without her in his life.

He sighed heavily. He finished getting dressed by buttoning his black button-up shirt and smoothing out his solid black suit.

"Sebastian, admiring yourself will not make you more handsome. I know you need all the help you can get, but now is not the time," Ominis jested from the door. "We need to go or we'll be late!"

Ominis shut the door behind him and crossed his arms as he leaned against it. He was wearing a black button-up shirt with a solid white suit, tie, and masquerade mask.

"Sorry, Ominis. I'm just not looking forward to tonight."

"Then why are you going?"

"At this point, I'm not sure. I thought I wanted to, but the thought of seeing her with him... Maybe I should just stay here."

Sebastian hung his head low and brought his hands together to play with the moonstone ring on his finger. It didn't matter how much time had passed or the state their relationship was in, he still wore the ring because it was the only way to feel close to Rose.

"Sebastian," Ominis let out a frustrated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose, "I understand where your feelings lie, but you cannot sulk around in them all the time."

"I'm trying!" Sebastian snapped. "I'm sorry... but I am trying so hard. And knowing I'm in the wrong doesn't help anything."

Ominis followed the sound of Sebastian's voice and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"I would never give you permission to interfere with her happiness; you know that. After everything good she's done for you, you tarnished it with your selfishness-"

"This is such a lovely conversation I want to have Ominis-"

"Sallow, I'm not finished!"

Sebastian snickered at Ominis's motherly tone.

"You're exhausting, selfish, cocky... but you have a large and loving heart. If you truly still feel this way about her, then try to just become friends with her again. Just friends."

"I'm trying to be her friend, but I'm not sure if I could only ever be just her friend..."

"If that's what Rosalie wants, then you'll just need to comply."

Sebastian knew that's what he had to do, but hearing the words out loud always hurt. Tears began stinging his eyes before he quickly wiped them dry.

"Let's just go," Sebastian whispered before patting Ominis on his back and tying his black mask on.

Ominis pulled out his wand that pulsated a red light for guidance, and the boys walked to the common room. Grace stood by the fountain, tapping her foot, with Nerida Roberts and her date, Edward Nickles. Grace wore a beautiful layered black tulle dress that hung off of her shoulders, which exposed her collarbones. Glistening iridescent diamonds scattered throughout her dress. Her masquerade mask complimented her dress well as it was made out of the very same diamonds.