Chapter 3.5: Same Old Mistakes

After the swimming class ended, I was asked by Chabs sensei to visit a guidance room to file a report on Yamauchi Haruki. When I entered the room, there were two adults, Chabs-sensei and a male security officer in his thirties. I bowed toward the two of them to show respect, though I felt out of place since I was still wearing Kikyo's tracksuit. 

In the layout of the office, there were three chairs, two with Chabs and the officer sitting right next to each other near the desk. The officer looked to be typing something on a laptop. He glanced in my direction as I took my seat right across them. Another security guard who happened to be nearby closed the door for us, leaving just the three of us inside the room. 

If I'm not mistaken, this feels sort of like an interrogation. The room was mostly empty, besides a few cabinets and a clock. 

"Sakura Airi. Student ID: S01T004738. Classroom 1-D. Homeroom teacher: Chabashira Sae." He looked at me with a concerned expression, trying to sound as gentle as possible, "Is this information about you correct?"

My ID number, that's a strange thing to ask, but it sounds about right. 

"Yes, sir."

"Now, I am doing this for your sake, so all I need you to do is cooperate with me. You got that?"

His calm voice helped keep the room's atmosphere from becoming too tense. I've dealt with folks like this before, not as the victim of a crime but as a suspect. However, I am concerned about someone who might be considered a suspect if I don't play my cards correctly during this little interrogation. 

"I u-understand, so tell me what you want to do."

My voice sounded uncharacteristically meek, but this is the best method of maintaining your status as a victim in a case like this. As a victim, it is best to cooperate with the officer when you are the victim. Usually, they will ask for a statement or testimony; however, he wanted to investigate my phone for some reason.

"Good, thank you. Can you please hand me your phone? I want to see if the SIM card inside of it is salvageable."

I handed him my newly damaged phone, which appeared to have been dropped due to the cracks on the screen, making it unresponsive to my touch. 

The officer connected my phone to his laptop to see if it was working at the moment., potentially even trying to go over any files, purchases, and anything that could be salvaged from the device. 

"I have bad news for you: the SIM card in your phone has been damaged. Fortunately, the warranty on the school's phones will allow you to repair them for no cost. So, I will need you to pass this file to the worker at the repair shop near Keyaki Mall; then, he will tell you what to do from there."

"I s-see." 

"Right, now I want you to provide a statement about the events that transpired. After this, you will be allowed to go."

This was quicker than expected. I thought there would be further investigation. I guess that's it for Yamauchi. It's a shame because if he didn't mess up in such a pathetic way, he would still be here, and someone else would've been expelled.

I gave my rundown of events of earlier today, trying to keep it precise and keeping up the meek voice. As I was giving my statement, I could hear the tapping of the keyboard of the officer transcribing my words. 

Something that I do respect the school for is the utmost professionalism that is occurring right now. It is way better than the chaos of the class trials in the Ultimate Academy. It's reassuring that the school takes these sorts of situations seriously.