Chapter 6: Refreshing Child, Pure Child

Exiting the dorm building, I stopped by a nearby vending machine and bought a can of coffee. Usually, I don't enjoy coffee because I find its texture boring. However, today was different; I found it necessary if I was going to make it through today.

I barely got any sleep the night before after learning that I was technically not Ouma Kokichi but Sakura Airi with his memories and personality. It's an incredibly confusing and mind-boggling revelation, to say the least. However, learning this did give me some relief that I don't have to worry about looking at myself naked without feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

However, I technically have no proof to say that this is the case. It is the only logical explanation for the contradiction of my actual appearance and how I used to remember myself without going into supernatural causes.

Now, what could've altered my memories is something that I'm not sure even exists, but it does in my current memories—the flashback lights. Based on the killing game, the light can imprint false memories into the participants, making them believe the world was destroyed and that they were the last of humanity. Now, relating to my current reality, according to the research I did last night, some sort of government-sponsored technology was used to make the killing games more exciting.

Based on my memories, it wouldn't be surprising if this technology involved some sort of mind manipulation that could alter one's nervous system to replace one's existing memories and personality with new ones.

Though this is only a hypothesis about my current situation, it does help explain how I believe I am Kokichi. Moreover, I still can't rule out the possibility of reincarnation, but I'd prefer it weren't the case.

This only scratches the surface of the abundance of questions I now have about myself and the television series known as Danganronpa. However, as a high school girl who thinks she's a fictional boy with little influence except for some online followers, I can only hypothesize and continue my high school life.

I grabbed the canned iced coffee from the vending machine and cracked it open. As I took a sip of my drink, I couldn't help but wonder why I was unable to taste anything. From Kokichi's memories, he would always complain about never being able to taste anything regardless of what he consumed, and he wasn't lying about it. Thinking about it, do I have the same issue as him? Is it some neurological effect that occurred when my memories were altered?

As I continued to drink my coffee, I heard someone trying to get my attention.

"Good Morning, Sakura."

That monotonous and dull voice couldn't change in the slightest. Sometimes, it would be nice if he could be a bit more enthusiastic when talking to me.

"Mornin', Aya-chan! You look as dull as usual!"

I greeted him with my usual bright smile and cheery voice. However, as usual, he stared at me in return with his dull golden eyes.

"I don't know what to tell you, but this is what I am usually like."

His retort was nothing new and was starting to get boring.

"Fine, I don't feel like arguing about that right now. Instead, I have a few things I want to ask of you."

"Is it about my dull voice?"

Pretending to be shocked, I covered my mouth with my available hand.

"Wow, you know me so well. Though you're absolutely wrong this time!" I pointed towards him. 

"So what is that you wanted to ask?"

"Remember how you told Kikyo-chan to talk to me about the plan involving befriending Horikita-chan?"