Chapter 4: To Atone for my Sins

"Your classmate, Yamauchi Haruki, was expelled. He left the school's premises last night." 

Those words silenced the whole class during homeroom the following day. It was no surprise to many in this classroom that he would be expelled. It would be more surprising if he did show up after yesterday. However, if Yamauchi's not showing up wasn't enough evidence that he was gone, the school removed his desk as if he was never here in the first place. 

This announcement affected everyone in some way besides Koenji, who couldn't care less. Knowing him, he's probably grateful that an eyesore has left his presence. However, on the opposite end of the reaction, we have Hirata, who was shaken after hearing those words. His face was pale, similar to the one I witnessed yesterday. His hands were clenched into fists, trying to suppress his anger. 

This behavior is totally not what one would expect from the popular boy in our class, and sometimes I would notice some of those who have crushes on him, like Karuizawa and Mii-chan, take brief glances at him out of concern. 

As lessons passed by, I noticed a difference inside the classroom. I saw that my classmates were silent and listened to the instructors, or at least pretending to listen. The reason for why this sudden change is the initial shock after losing a classmate. They finally understood that the school would punish someone if the action were severe. 

Though this change will only be temporary, as I can see, possibly by next week, most will revert to not paying attention during lectures. The only reason the silence exists as of now is because of the initial shock. After a while, my classmates will remember that the person who was expelled in their eyes is a creepy criminal who defiles people's clothes. 

Yamauchi had two close friends named Ike and Sudo, who happened to be my seatmate. During class, Ike always seemed to be questioning his life choices. He wasn't very popular with the girls, and since he was closest to Yamauchi, other girls didn't want to be near him either, just in case he was like Yamauchi. Meanwhile, Sudo looked frustrated, perhaps even disappointed in his friends. He was never well-liked in the class because of his short temper and violent outbursts; most didn't approach him. Ike and Yamauchi were some of the few who could tolerate his presence. So, after yesterday, he might do some self-reflection about how to move on, though it will take time for someone like him.

Lessons finally ended, and I first noticed that Kaurizawa's group surrounded Hirata, trying to get him out of his depressive slump by inviting him out, but to no avail. It's no use when a man is in a state of frustration. A defense mechanism commonly used is to push others away, not opening up about their feelings about the situation. So until someone can reach him, he will be in this sad state that is unattractive to see. 

However, he has good friends willing to stick with him even during dark times. However, it would be best to leave him alone for the day so he can collect his thoughts and build himself up. The group also thought that way. 

Anyway, since I want Hirata to feel better as well, I think joining Kaurizawa's group for lunch will be my plan for today. 

"Hey! Karuizawa-chan, can I join you?"

I got up with my bag and went to the group. Knowing that I was the victim of Yamauchi's crime and was sort of indirectly responsible for his expulsion, it must feel awkward for them. 

"Come on now. We don't have all day now."

Kaurizawa answered, giving me the green light to join them for lunch. However, she doesn't need to be so rude when answering. 

I focused on Ayanokoji, who looked to be conversing with Kushida about something, before departing with the group. I had already handed him his bento in the morning, and it looked like he could eat with others without me being present, so I left the room with Kaurizawa and her group.