Chapter 8: I Accept

The special building.

It was the building near our dorm, and from where I was, it would be around a fifteen-minute walk from where I left Ayanokoji-kun behind. From what I know of it, it was a mostly empty building, with very few even bothering to visit.

Why she made her way there, knowing the risks of what could happen to her, is something that I can speculate on. Could she have been threatened? 

So, I had no choice but to start running if I wanted to ensure that I had the best chance to check if Sakura-san was okay.

I started sweating and breathing incredibly heavily as I made my way closer to the building. My body was on autopilot while maneuvering across the campus trail; everything else was a massive blur, and my mind could only think about finding her.

 What if she was severely harmed by the store clerk she was meeting? 

What if it was worse?

Come on, stupid legs! Move faster!

I couldn't recount how much time had passed since I began my sprint to the special building, but as I finally arrived, I was out of breath, sweating, and just worn out due to all of the stress building up inside of me.

After calming myself down for a moment, I looked at the entrance to the special building. Several security officers were scouting the area and preventing anyone from entering. 

Was I too late? 

I can't even be sure right now, but I had no choice but to approach one of the officers if I wanted to figure out what happened to her. 

The officer I approached was a man in his mid-thirties. His slightly greyed hair and massive lenses made along with an annoyed face, signifying that something happened within the premises. 

"Excuse me, officer, may I ask what is going on over here?" 

"I'm sorry, but we are currently refusing answers. Please go on with your day."

Without looking me in the eye, he refused to answer my concerns. 

"I see, but I need to go inside this building. Could you at least tell me why I can't?"

"Like I said earlier, you can ask as much as you like, but the answer I will give you will remain the same."

If I can't enter the building itself, then perhaps I can take the conversation in a different direction. Perhaps then I could finally get through. 

"How about I ask you instead if you have seen a girl named Sakura Airi? She has long pink hair and should currently be inside this building, so I just wanted to know if you have seen her around here?"

The officer I was as soon as I mentioned Sakura-san's name, he raised his brow, looking at me suspiciously. 

" If that's the case, then I can talk with you. Can you give me your name?"

"Hirata Yosuke."

"I see. Well, if it's okay with you, I have a few questions for you right now."

What's going on? I was a bit hesitant that something happened. His voice was a bit more authoritative as if he was suspecting me. Even if I wanted to run away, I didn't think it was for the best, so I decided to cooperate with the officer. 

"Um, sure, I'm available at this moment."

"Alright, then, do you happen to have your Student ID right now? 

"Um, sure..."

I immediately went to grab my bag when I realized that I had left it with Ayanokoji-kun on the bench. What a careless mistake on my end! I then patted around my pants pockets and noticed that my ID card was in there.