60

Li Fu returned home with a full stomach that evening. As soon as he entered the courtyard, he saw someone lying on the ground. When he saw the body shape, he recognized the person and instantly wanted to sigh. "What happened again?"

In a weak voice, Mrs. Qian said, "I'm so hungry. I woke up to find some food, but when I walked here with my weak legs, I stumbled and couldn't stand up anymore." Her voice slowly faded, and her body did not move.

Walking past her, Li Fu said, "I have something to do. By the way, you can get up early tomorrow and do the cooking by yourself. Feed the chickens, too. I'm busy over there."

He then went into the kitchen to boil some water to wash up.

As Mrs. Qian watched the candlelight in the kitchen, she felt her stomach hurt even more.

Li Fu ignored her cries of hunger after he boiled water because he was too tired from hammering for an entire day to pay attention to her. He fell into a deep sleep soon after.

On his way out the next morning, he brought a set of clothes with him. Mrs. Qian got up especially early today. In fact, she didn't sleep much last night. When she saw him getting ready to leave, she couldn’t help but ask, "Are you coming back today?"

Li Fu looked at her and replied, "It depends."

The time Mrs. Qian was particularly anxious, asking, "I'm seriously ill, aren't you concerned?"

"You can move." Li Fu left the courtyard as soon as the words fell from his lips. Behind him, Mrs. Qian began sobbing.

On arriving at Li Qinghe's house, he found that there was already food on the table. He sat down and started eating with Zhou Chengkang without being polite.

When Li Qinghe saw him, she smiled and asked, "Father, is Aunt Qian doing better?"

Li Fu was drinking porridge when he heard the question. He sighed and replied, "She is suffering from heartache, and will have to deal with the issue herself. She will not be able to get better right now."

Mrs. Qian stole money from her family to subsidize Qian Laiwen's education, but the roots of the old Qian family had now vanished. How could she not feel sad?

In any case, this had happened quite some time ago. Since they were all dead, what could she do? She didn't consider living a good life for herself, and it had been a few months, but she still hadn't managed to figure it out.

Li Fu replied honestly, "It's fine, maybe in two days she'll be okay."

In Li Qinghe's opinion, Mrs. Qian's condition should be improving. The fact that she had no physical symptoms proved that she was not ill, so Li Qinghe did not believe that she could starve to death while lying down!

She would be convinced if Mrs. Qian really did starve to death.

Her main reason for asking Li Fu to bring his clothes over was that his clothes were all torn, and she wanted him to change into a different set and sew them up. His clothes had too many holes.

Yu Yan came over with a needle and thread on the third day of making the bricks, whispering, "Your Aunt Qian cooked by herself yesterday morning. She almost fainted. She just wants others to take care of her."

This was a bit too much. When she said she was sick, Li Fu had waited on her for so long and hadn’t asked her to help with the spring plowing. Now Li Fu was busy and didn't want to give in to her. Also, she should see what was good for her and accept it as soon as possible; only then could she be cured. Why was she still acting like this?

Other people might think that Li Fu had run off to help his daughter without waiting on his sick wife if they were not aware of the situation.

It wasn't deliberate on Li Qinghe's part to ask for her father's help. He would clearly refuse to come to help if he wanted to serve Mrs. Qian. Since he came along with the situation, he did not want to accommodate her any longer, and this was just a kind of bridge for him.