98

After buying the land, they now had to find a way to plant on this very barren land that they bought. Although Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang didn't have to pay for the taxes for the land under their names, everyone felt that it would be in vain to spend that much money on the land, that they assumed: would just be left as a wasteland.

But Li Qinghe had already thought about this matter. She knew that it would be very troublesome for them to clean the barren land for farming. There were also many large trees, and it was not easy to cut them down and dig out their roots. Farming on this land was not cost-effective at all.

"Have someone pull out the weeds over there…" She pointed to the area behind the Yang family, "There are weeds all over that area. After cutting them out, we will start preparing for the spring plowing after New Year. As for the forest with big trees behind us…"

If they can't cut those trees, then they could only plant and harvest medicinal herbs in the forest.

In her previous life, she had heard about planting a medicinal herb that could be grown as vines as well as shrubs in shaded regions that retains moisture. She heard it when Dr. Huang casually mentioned it earlier. She would either have to go to meet him at his clinic or have to invite him here to get some pointers.

Nowadays, no one would intentionally grow medicinal herbs in their house yards, unless of course, you are a doctor yourself. Only they knew the correct ways to plant them as well. Besides, getting the seeds was also a problem.

The next morning, Li Qinghe had Li Xingwang hire some people to start the work on the enormous wasteland.

Li Xingwang didn't just pick anyone for the work as he saw fit. He only hired people who would actually do the job. In simpler words, he didn’t hire people like Zhao Tianfu.

After Mr. Yu had completed his work in the house, he also, like others, came forward to clean up the land. They had hired around twenty people, and Mrs. Chen was responsible for cooking for them. Making food for so many people was also an important task, so Zhou Chengkang built a separate shed in the wasteland and bought a large pot to cook food for the workers.

It was still autumn. The workers were asked to hurry up with their work as winter was on its way. Though the workers were willing to work in the winter, Li Qinghe didn't want them to do it. The days were short in winter, so it was not worth having them work during that time.

Mrs. Zhou and Xiyu would occasionally go there to take a look. Someone knocked on the door today. It just so happened that Li Qinghe was alone at home. When she opened the door, she found that it was Zhao Wanwan.

It seemed that she was living in the village these days. After she opened the door, Zhao Wanwan quickly squeezed herself in and said hurriedly, "Sister, tie rhubarb quickly, he scares me to death."

Li Qinghe frowned slightly, "If you have something to say just say it and make it quick. I'm busy with work."

Zhou Chengkang was busy working in the wasteland and he took Mr. Yu along with him as well. So lately she was the one who had to fill in his role, that was feeding the horses, the pigs, and the chickens. Even at this moment, she was preparing horse food.

Seeing her impatient expression, Zhao Wanwan didn't dare to grumble any more, and said, "You have hired so many people. My father also wanted to help out with the work. In this way, he would also be able to earn a few bucks for the New Year. But I really didn't expect uncle to be this unwilling to hire him; and said that my father can't work there with them."

"Uncle is right." Li Qinghe turned around and resumed her work, "Your dad has never worked on a field, I bet he can’t even mow the grass."

"He can always learn." Zhao Wanwan walked up to her and squatted down. She had no intention to give up this easily. She extended her hand and asked, "Do you want me to help you out with this chore?"