63

Li Qinghe didn’t see Qian Laixing very often, and even though he seemed gentle, he wasn’t as good as Xu Changjie. Mrs. You had always protected him well and never allowed him to see any girl.

However, in Li Qinghe's memory, Qian Laixing and Qian Laiwen had a good relationship, since they both read books and went out together a lot. Another thing was that both were weak scholars. Most of the two’s incomes for their studies was earned by Qian Laiman and his parents. They couldn’t make money, and neither could they work hard, except studying.

If this person wanted to marry Yu Yan out of some feelings, then this was total nonsense. He was clearly eyeing Yu Yan's embroidery skills. It would’ve been better to say he wanted to marry a money basket rather than a wife.

Thinking of this, Li Qinghe's feet accelerated, and her intention of throwing off Mrs. You was obvious.

Since Mrs. You used to do farm work, she was able to catch up with her quite easily. "Qinghe, take a break, I want to talk to you properly."

Obviously, Li Qinghe did not stop. Instead, her feet accelerated faster. As luck would have it, someone on the mountain greeted Mrs. You, which allowed Li Qinghe to leave her behind.

After reaching the house, Li Qinghe put down the firewood and took a sip of water when someone knocked on the door outside. It's not over yet!

Upon opening the door, Li Qinghe found that it was Mrs. You outside standing there. She entered the courtyard without fear of Little Rhubarb.

"Qinghe, I’ll tell you the truth. My family's Laixing went for a stroll yesterday and met Miss Yu. He fell in love with her at first sight, and he asked me to propose marriage. Can you ask your aunt about it?"

Li Qinghe sighed. "Yan'er hasn't been thinking about marriage lately. Wouldn't it be best if you asked Third Aunt yourself?"

Mrs. You disagreed and said in a low voice, "No, it's hard for me to ask. If they don't agree, the news will spread out and won’t be good for our family. She doesn't want to discuss marriage right now, but that's because she hasn't met the right person yet. Laixing will take the county exam next year. If he succeeds, then he’ll be a scholar. Who can refuse such an easy life?"

"You two have a good relationship, and besides, your third aunt isn't her real mother. That means your third aunt has better relations with you, in turn. You can ask her for me, and if she doesn't say yes, just pretend I never came."

Li Qinghe was helpless, as she said, "I'll go now, why not come with me?"

Mrs. You nodded. "But it's hard for me to come forward, so I'll wait for you outside and you can help me ask. I have a plan in mind, and I'll come to propose marriage when it's right."

She sounded really confident speaking about the marriage proposal.

Li Qinghe's third aunt was drying clothes in the yard when she got there. She was quite surprised to see her coming, asking, "Qinghe, how is it that you can come over today?"

"I'm here to speak to Yan'er." She went inside after speaking, already familiar with the way to Yu Yan's room.

Yu Yan also teased her. "Why do you want to look for me? Is there something serious going on?"

"There really is." Li Qinghe lowered her voice. "Did you meet Qian Laiman's brother yesterday?"

Yan Yi was taken aback. "I don't know, yesterday I went to town and met so many people, how could I have known who he was?"

"His mother went to the mountain deliberately to block my path today. She said I should come and ask you. She said her son was unlucky and fell down this year, but next year, he'll make the designated list in the county exam."