96

"Who is it that wants to live with you!" Mrs. Zhou shouted whilst turning around, and went straight to her room. Even though she said those harsh words, her heart was warmed to a soft mood. In fact, she knew her children the best. If she had to rely on someone then it would be on Zhou Chengkang and Li Qinghe. They both were very hard-working and sensible enough. As for the most important aspect, they both knew to show filial piety. When Li Fu married Mrs. Qian, while he raised and supported Zhou Wanwan as his daughter, Li Qinghe didn't care. And now, there is no end to the gifts they receive from Li Fu whenever there is a festival.

Although she said that she wasn’t desperate to stay with these two kids, she didn't say she was going back either. Since there wasn't much work to do on the farm, it didn't matter where she stayed behind with them.

Moreover, it was helpful for them to have her here. Mrs. Zhou would take care of Xiyu while Li Qinghe went to the mountains to chop wood, or sometimes just to accompany Zhou Chengkang.

Soon they received news from the town that the person who ran away that night was Zhao Tianfu.

Now this was really unexpected…

They rushed to the town as soon as they received this news. Zhao Tianfu was already under arrest; the two thieves who were caught earlier had identified him in the end. Even though he refused the allegation, the case was still registered.

Zhao Tianfu was the one who made the plan and convinced those two to steal the fish. He asked Liu Cheng to catch the fish and Yang Lanhong to lead the way and then the three would take the fish to Liu Cheng's brother and have him sell them.

They had a mutual agreement long ago that they would sell the stolen fishes in the town. All fishes looked the same anyway, so there was no way anyone could prove that the fish they had was from Li Qinghe's pond.

Zhao Tianfu's family used to be financially alright before, but after the land was passed down to him, he didn't do any work all year round. He hired workers to plant on the farm and half of the produce was given to them. During the tough times, the workers didn’t have enough food. He also spent a lot on going to brothels and drinking wine. Even though from the outside it looked like the Zhao family still had its past glory, in reality, it was perishing as time went on. Gradually the Zhao family became no different than the other families in the village.

The case was investigated and the verdict was finally announced. People who had nothing to do with the case were not allowed to go in. But, still, there were quite a lot of people present. From the Yang family, Mr. Yang and his wife, as well as Yang Lanrou and her husband were there. From the Liu family, Lui Cheng's brother and his sister-in-law had come. And as for the Zhao family, a beautiful woman in her twenties came along with a child in her arms. Tears were streaming down her face as she stood there.

"That's pretty much the inside story." The magistrate finished reading and closed the record booklet.

"Yesterday you guys said that if you find the real culprit, you are willing to let my son go." Mr. Yang spoke first. Then he tugged Liu Yuan's hand to confirm what he just stated, "Right?"

Liu Yuan also spoke words to sync with his father, "Yes, that's why we asked the magistrate to investigate and find the culprit this quickly."

The subtle meaning implied here was that they had asked the magistrate, and they had done their best and should be released since their part was now done.

Zhou Chengkang answered, "I did say that I wanted the culprits to be punished. But stealing was wrong all together, and they should not be spared for anything. The law states that anyone who steals more than two hundred pieces, their property shall be sealed for two years as punishment. Those who involve others to steal property are to be imprisoned for five years."