CHAPTER TEN: REUNION

Alyssa's POV

I missed the cool breeze, the smell of food in the air, the bustling of busy humans. Winter was fast approaching and I'm very glad to be spending it with my family. Damon barely had time to talk to me since he was busy with his friend, Jace who was actually the beta's son. They've been discussing about issues within their pack alongside Sylvia who would put in a word as well.

Luke had slept off saying he needed to gather enough energy to tackle his mom's nagging. I logged into Pinterest to check winter recipes.

Ooh, Beef Bourgiugnon... I like that one.

Brittany voiced in my head. I could literally hear her salivating and growling. It has been a long time since I let her out for a run. Maybe when we've settled back home, Axel, Angelo and I could race each other. The thought of seeing my brothers again made my heart swell with joy but I couldn't help but feel anxious.

We had pulled up in front of the estate owned by the family as to not cause alarm. Dad had bought this estate when the pack first moved here in order for us to be separated from the humans as not to give out our identities. It was well furnished with green parks and businesses opened up by some of the pack members who chose to live under their own roofs. We also had our private house for some personal occasions and such.

"Wake up Luke. We're home" I shook Luke slightly but he was resisting, muttering some incoherent words. "SZA's signing autographs!" I shouted and he jerked up looking around the car in a frenzy.

"Where is she? I'm proposing to her today! I've dreamt of this day for like forever but everyone calls it obsession, I swear, I'm gonna rub it in Ally's face and..." He went silent when he realized there was no one there and everyone in the car had turned to look at him before bursting into laughter.

"What the fuck?" Luke rubbed his forehead while glaring at me but I just stuck my tongue out. "Dude, are you actually that obsessed with her? Get over it, you're never going to meet her" Damon chuckled as he alighted from the car alongside Sylvia and Jace with our luggage.

I had actually told Damon about Luke's fantasies of SZA when he was singing one of her songs in the bathroom. He felt generally pleased that I thought of him as someone close that I could tell stuff to.

Luke had begrudgingly gotten out of the car with Sylvia and Jace persuading him and listening to the reasons for his actions earlier while Damon and I walked behind them. "How are you going to explain to your parents?" Damon asked as he casually grazed shoulders with mine.

"I've been thinking about it since we boarded the flight back and I honestly don't know" I felt safe with him. I guess the bond was still there but unexplained. He is, sorry was my mate so maybe I guess that's why we still feel the sparks.

"No matter what, I promise to stand by your side and maybe we could tell them the truth about what really happened" He gently interlaced his fingers with mine. His words were spoken with such care and softness as if any misspoken word would set me off.

"How can I just barge in there and say "Hey mom, hey dad. Luke and I ran away from home because our mates rejected us and I came back home with my supposed mate who is actually your best friend's son" " I left his hold and I felt cold immediately, the warmth he provided gone and my outfit didn't help matters either.

He looked hurt and sad but there was nothing I could do. See that's one thing about me, I never sugarcoat my words and just say it as it is. "I've promised to fix the mess I caused and there is nothing I wouldn't do to get back your trust"

He said as he placed his hands on my shoulder before pulling me into a hug. I felt stiff immediately as some kind of force kept me in that position. I couldn't reciprocate the hug or pull away but I didn't want to, I could hear his fast heartbeats and the tension surrounding us was so thick that a knife couldn't even cut through it.