Epilogue

🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼

"C'mon Lorenzo, you can do this," I sighed, desperately trying to convince myself of the impossible. I knew I could do this. In fact, I'd proven multiple times that I could.

Sitting here, in this cold changing room, felt oddly familiar, somehow. The what used to be salmon-colored tiles on the wall still looked the same as they did when I first came here; worn out and mostly white. The checkered floor hadn't changed much either, safe for the dust collecting in its grooves. I sighed. So much had changed.

"...And then, the performance you all came for, Lorenzo Augustino and Keith Kingston!"

Coach's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, thunderous waves of applause rambling through the building. I glanced up, giving Keith a small smile. "That's us."

Grinning, he stood up and dusted himself off. "Sounds like it. You ready?"

"Yeah!" And horrified, too. 

"Let's do this," Keith said as we approached the rink for the very last time, squeezing my hand just a little tighter.

"Let's do this," I affirmed, taking in a deep breath as I positioned myself underneath the two spotlights, shimmering down at us for the first time. 

The world around me dimmed down, leaving me with nothing but focus. Focus. Just focus.

Have you ever felt like you were floating? Floating so smoothly you'd forget walking even exists. Not everyone can do that. Most people can't. Most people are always walking, or running. I don't understand people who run. Regardless of what you believe in, you only get to experience every moment once. Any time after that will be nothing but a memory, a memory set in stone, no matter how big. So why would you run? Why not just, live?

"...But, it seems that I really... Don't. Like. You. Like, I can legit not stand you."

A sharp turn to the left. I leaned forward, precisely twisting my upper body until I could switch from my right leg to my left through a swift jump. 

"Alright, you can stop crying now, you'll ruin your cute face."

Cold air throbbing through my ears, I leaned on my back and stretched my arms out until my fingertips barely grazed the smooth ice underneath me, allowing the cold breeze to carry me forward.

"Where the hell are the gorillas?! We've been walking for hours!"

With a huff, I smiled up at Keith. He caught me. I told you you could do it. Within a split second, I was gone again, gliding backward across the rink. 

"Of course it does, I can't stand to see you sad."

Catching a wink from Keith, I tensed my muscles as I leaned forward through the right turn, locking my eyes on his. He matched my form perfectly, hands interlocked on his lower back as he skated backward in front of me, precisely balancing his speed.

"Don't worry, I got you."

Ice spewing up against the rim of Keith's skates, he shook his hair out of his face, eyes still solely focused on me. Setting my foot back, I took one more glance at him before I launched myself forward, flying toward Keith so fast I couldn't see the people around me anymore.

"You look cuddly like that." 

Keith's hands securely gripped my waist as he spun me up in the air with a breathless grin. Placing my hands on his shoulders, I swiftly pushed myself up right before Keith set us off into infinite spins across the ice, grinning up at me as he held me high, strands of jet-black hair sticking to his forehead. 

"I really want to kiss you right now."

At the highest point of speed, Keith stretched his arms out; my sign to place my arms around his neck and tense up my legs, straightening them entirely. With a sharp turn, he shifted my position diagonally, squatting to his knees, all while viciously spinning.

"Thank you, Augustino. For everything."

With Keith's chest pressed against mine, I felt his heartbeat race against my own. Stretching out my legs as far as possible, I sucked in a breath trying to reach the ice with my blades. Barely grazing the ice, I felt Keith's grip on me falter. 

"Thanks for today, really. I loved every moment of it."

Pulling my right leg back, Keith slid away from underneath me, skating backward while holding my hand tight. Closing my eyes, I braced myself for the spin that was about to come.

"No, shush. Wasn't done yet. I'll help you with your routine, and you're gonna do great, okay? Last time is last time, this is a new opportunity, new outcome and all. Deal?"

Keith yanked my hand with him, flying through a new turn, spinning me over the icy surface in perfect circles. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as my head hovered only mere inches above the ice, my left arm stretched out above my head, hand locked with Keith's. 

"What the fuck?! Let him go!"

Woosh. I was up again, skating backward with my chest pressed against Keith's, one hand on his shoulder and the other placed steadily on his hip. He grinned at me, chest heavily moving up and down. I shot him a smile before swiftly glancing over my shoulder to pre-position for the next turn.

"I can't do this anymore."

Hitting my toepick into the ice, I came to an abrupt stop, my outer leg stretched out. I let go of Keith's hand as he spun outward, crossing his arms over his chest before transitioning into a lutz. Crossing one leg over the other, he flew through the air, twirling around before landing with one leg lifted outward, allowing him to make the circle complete and skate back to me, catching my hand as I returned from a turn on the other side. 

"Hey. Merry Christmas Lorenzo."

Heart to heart, hand in hand, we skated backward in perfect sync. Picking up speed, I slid in front of Keith, arching my back with my arms above my head. Keith placed his hands on my waist while effortlessly leaning back, guiding me further across the ice.

"You're my boyfriend! No turning back now!"

Flying through the final turn, Keith gripped my hand as I spun outward, twirling around until our arms locked, allowing Keith to pull me back in until I felt his nose gently brush against mine, both our chests rapidly heaving up and down. Our hands interlocked as the music died down, signaling the lights to return to normal, and then...

The entire building erupted into thunderous applause, nearly every single person standing up straight with ginormous smiles on their faces, whistling and yelling with praise. Holy shit.

Squeezing his hand, I glanced over at Keith. He stood there, the biggest grin on his face as tears silently fell down his cheeks, his nails digging into my skin. Ow, my heart. Leaning closer, I whispered, "I'm so proud of you. You did it."

"We did it together," he replied breathlessly, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

Fin

🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼