eighteen.

Taehyung leaned against the car window, staring out at the moving road while fiddling with the ring on his finger. He was desperate to take it off, but he held back the urge and let go.

His mind kept replaying the kiss in his head which both made his heart ache and race.

But he never said it would be part of the act? Taehyung didn't want to be delusional, but the way Jeongguk smiled at him after and continued to do so began to make him rethink everything. A large of part of him still believed it was an act, but a small part of him doubled it.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he saw that they were now at Jeongguk's place, a sense of dread immediately took over when he saw a familiar car.

"Let's go," Jeongguk turned to the boy who wouldn't move, "Do you not want to see who's inside?"

"No." Taehyung exhaled, he was fed up. Every single day he was met by something that made him miserable and he couldn't take it any longer.

"Why not?" The other worriedly asked.

"My aunt and uncle used to beat me." Taehyung blurted out, slowly turning to Jeongguk who's face morphed into a look of surprise and guilt.

"I'm sorry I-"

"You didn't know. It's fine, nobody knows about it." Taehyung looked down at his hands again, fiddling with the ring.

Jeongguk let out a sigh, "Tae, can you please tell me stuff-"

"I don't need to. You're not anyone important in my life that deserves to know everything about me. Even if you did know, what difference would it make? You can't ask them to leave and drop their baby off because that's weird. You can't call the police because you have no evidence. You can't pick a fight or defend me because God forbid anything damages your precious reputation." A bitter scoff left the boy after.

Jeongguk sucked in a deep breath and looked up at the roof of his car, "I know. But, I would care and do whatever I can to stop them from hurting you."

Taehyung snickered, "And why would you do that for me?"

"The same reason you didn't want to keep doing drugs because of me."

Taehyung fell silent, chewing on his bottom lip and now fiddling with the sleeves of his top, "Oh."

Jeongguk stared at the boys arms before speaking again, "I want you start sleeping in my room from now on. I'll ask my maid to move everything tomorrow while we're at the event party."

"What? Why?!"

Jeongguk didn't want to say the real reason why. He knew that the boy would flip out if he said why, and he wanted him to be happy just for once.

"Because we're engaged and you're my soulmate, your place is next to me in my bed."

"None of this shit is real to us anyway! Once you get your attention, you're gonna ditch me so you become the talk of the town for divorcing his soulmate so you can stay relevant and make more money!"

Jeongguk remained silent again before finally deciding to speak and turn to Taehyung, "I'm not divorcing you."

"What? But before you said that this all just some act and after a few months y-"

"I'm not going to get rid of you and I'm not gonna divorce you," Jeongguk repeated himself staring at the confusion and pain on the boys face, "Let's not get worked up over this now, you're cousins in there waiting for you."

Taehyung didn't speak and just stepped out of the car, hanging his head low as he began to walk beside Jeongguk into the house. He took a deep breath in as Jeongguk unlocked it, he tried to cheer himself up by seeing his cousins face but it barely worked.