Two

"There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds"
-LAURELL K. HAMILTON

~~

I return later that evening to an empty house as per usual but I don't care. I had a wonderful time with Liam. We chatted for hours about all things books. Our favourite books, authors even the best place we've ever read. He definitely topped mine by saying on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower.

I got his number and made plans to catch up in the library tomorrow during a free period that we have at the same time. I'm so excited! This is the first time I've felt anything like this since starting college three months ago!

Originally I'm not supposed to finish work for another hour and usually wouldn't be home for another hour and a half but Liam had to go and Gianna gave me the all-clear to leave.

Even though I'm in the small living room in one of the rooms in our four-roomed apartment that consists of a small kitchen, living room, bedroom and adjoining bathroom, I start removing my work shirt when the front door flies open.

Jack walks in laughing with a huge grin on his face until he sees me. His smile automatically drops as he reaches behind him.

"Charlotte?" He cries, "You're early! You don't finish for another hour."

"Yeah, it wasn't busy so Gianna let me finish early" I shrug as I pull my shirt back down and lean forward to see behind him.

"Hi, Brianna," I say seeing the side of her head hiding behind Jack's back.

"Oh hi Charlotte" she smiles stepping out from behind Jack, "you were missed at the beach today" she lies.

"I didn't even know that's where you went. What are you doing here" I question.

"She got sunburnt. I said we have aloe vera gel she could use" Jack says quickly, "Can you get it for me."

I look at Brianna and notice her face is red as well as the skin along her bare shoulders, she's in her bikini still. I wonder if she knows the strings aren't tied up properly.

"Sure" I shrug as I make my way into the bedroom to get to the bathroom. I can just hear them whispering but I can't make any words. The whispers stop when I make my way back into the living room.

"Thanks. You're a peach" she grins before looking at my face, "speaking of which. I know a place where you can remove all of that facial hair. In certain lights, it looks like you have a beard."

Jack laughs loudly as my face drops. Tears fill my eyes and Jack notices, "I'll see you later Brianna" he says quickly before basically shoving her towards the door.

"Tonight?" She whispers with a pout but I can hear.

Jack looks at me for a moment. I quickly look away as a tear falls. "Maybe" he whispers back before Brianna leaves the apartment, he shuts the door behind her.

"She was joking" Jack sighs, "you're so sensitive sometimes."

"She's a bitch" I snap angrily, "and you're no better and if I didn't love you so fucking much I would leave" I almost scream but I don't.

"Don't call her that" he snaps back.

"Oh so you stick up for her but not for me. Un-fucking-believable" I say as I start to walk off.

Jack's face softens as I turn around and start walking into the bedroom. I know he's following me but I ignore him as I hurry into the only lockable place, the bathroom. I close and lock the door a second before he turns the doorknob.