Eight

"Don't settle for being someone's sometimes"
- UNKNOWN

~~

The next day I wake in Liam's bed. He's still sleeping next to me. Last night was the best night I've had in months. We played video games for hours and I forgot how much I missed it! Then Liam revealed his impressive board game collection under his bed and we played until I could barely keep my eyes open. Then we put on a random movie that I fell asleep during a few minutes in.

I reach for my phone to check the time when I remember I turned it off last night. Picking it up and very carefully so I don't wake Liam I slide out of bed make my way into the bathroom and close the door.

After relieving myself on the toilet I turn my phone on and place it on the sink so I can wash my face and brush my teeth. I just splash water on my face when the sink starts aggressively shaking.

"Earthquake!?" I think before laughing at myself, we don't have earthquakes here. Looking down I see it's my phone. It's vibrating so much it's almost vibrated itself off the sink.

"What on earth!?" I say out loud as I pick it up.

There's fifty-two missed calls from Jack and over one hundred messages from Jack.

"Oh god who died!" I cry as I go to call him back. He always stays out and never ever ever even sends me one text. My finger hovers over the call button but I hesitate and in that moment of hesitation, I decided to check the messages. I scroll all the way back to the first one.

Jack ❤️: what do you mean ok? Is everything alright? You usually beg me to come home????

Jack ❤️: hello????

Jack ❤️: why aren't you answering???

Jack ❤️: Charlotte??? I just tried to ring you. Hello??

Jack ❤️: why are ignoring me????

Jack ❤️: I just tried to ring AGAIN and it went straight to voicemail. Are you declining my calls????

Jack ❤️: CHARLOTTE!??

Jack ❤️: for fuck sake Charlotte. ANSWER ME.

Jack ❤️: IF YOU DONT ANSWER ME IM COMING HOME.

Jack ❤️: I'm home. Where the FUCK are you????

Jack ❤️: ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE CHARLOTTE

Jack ❤️: WHERE ARE YOU?????

I keep scrolling because the rest of the messages are basically the same. Him swearing at me. Asking where I am.

Not one are you okay though. I scroll to the end of the texts. It's from this morning. I look at the time, it's currently one in the afternoon. Jack's last message was at ten am.

Jack ❤️: you didn't come home last night. Your phone keeps going to voicemail. I don't know what is happening but you better have a good explanation. I don't know if I can forgive you for this Charlotte. We need to talk.

I actually start laughing out loud. Loudly. So loudly I must have woken Liam up, "Are you okay?" He asks from behind the closed door. I wake over to the door open it then hand him my phone. His eyes move back and forward as he reads the message and suddenly he starts laughing too.

"He's really is delusional isn't he" he laughs as he hands my phone back.

"Yeah. The audacity right!? He leaves all the time and never answers me and the one time I do it it's the end of the world" I laugh before getting more serious,
" I wonder if he'll use this as an excuse to break up with me. I heard him last night tell Connor he was going to do it now that Brianna wants to date him. I'm going to do it first. On Monday."