Six

"Make sure you're not saying 'It's complicated' when it's actually TOXIC. The more words it takes you to explain your relationship, the less healthy it probably is."
-STEVE MARABOLI

~~

I try to push the urges away as I stomp through the building until I reach the other exit and race through it. I keep stomping until I leave the school groups and I'm up the street.

I sense someone following me but I ignore them and keep stomping. After a few minutes, I can hear heavy breathing as the person gets closer. Fuck you, Jack.

I quickly turn around, "Go away, Jack. Leave me the fuck alone!" I scream.

But is not Jack.

It's Liam staring at me with wide eyes. I stare back as embarrassment rises through me. My heart beats fast, my stomach churns and my cheeks flush pink. We don't speak instead we just stare at each other. I'm so embarrassed that I feel like running so I do exactly that, I turn on my heel to keep going.

"Wait," Liam says stopping me but I don't turn back to face him.

"Was that Jack? Your boyfriend?" He continues.

"You saw?" I frown. I look to the ground hoping the earth would split open and I could slip through it but I'm not that lucky.

"Yeah..I was going to return your iPad. I accidentally picked it up with my stuff. I was following you when I saw someone grab you from behind. Then you started arguing.." Liam starts, I slowly turn around to face him and he closes the gap between us until he's standing directly in front of me, "and then you...it was like you just shut down. Charlotte is he abusive?" He asks me so gently as he looks into my eyes.

"No!" I saw quickly, "Never. He's never ever put a hand on me."

Liam sighs, "Charlotte. Abusive isn't just physical. Abusive is many things. He is the reason you looked so sad yesterday. The reason why you don't read anymore. Why your night and morning was so horrible you forgot to eat? Is he the reason why you threw your scholarship away? What about your hand" he says, I look down at my hand, "was he the cause of that?"

"He didn't mean to" I start as I look back at Liam with tears in my eyes. Liam takes in a sharp breath.

"He left a knife in the bathroom and I put my hand on it. It was an accident" I say quickly.

"Why was there a knife in the bathroom?" Liam quizzes me.

"Because...I ... because I was crying in there and I locked the door. The bathroom lock is flimsy. If you shove a sharp knife through it, it pops open" I say now being the one rambling.

"And why were you crying in the bathroom?" He continues ignoring my rant.

I just look at him for a moment. I'm struggling to contain my tears. Unable to handle his gaze which isn't angry or annoyed, his eyes are filled with concern and that makes me feel like I can tell him anything, I look up and focus on the sky. Looking at the clouds, I feel tears slowly sliding down my cheeks and without my permission, I release a sob.

I sense Liam walk up to me but I don't look.

"Charlotte?" He says gently but I still refuse to look.

"Do you need a hug? Would you like me to hug you?" He asks.

I just nod my head yes and Liam pulls me into a tight hug. I melt into him as the smell of old books and peppermint wash over me, I feel so safe in his arms and that makes me sad because it forces me to accept that I haven't felt like this around Jack in a long time. Unable to stop myself I fully sob into Liam's shoulder. I would be so embarrassed if I wasn't so heartbroken and confused. Liam doesn't seem to mind as he holds me tightly and uses on hand to flatten my hair.