Five

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses."
- THE ARCHITECT

~~

I had so much fun just sitting across from Liam reading that I lost track of time until he announced it was time for the next period.

"I read through break?" I laugh as I look up from my book. I have Chartered Accounting now but I don't want to go.

"Yes, I guess we both got caught up in our books" Liam laughs as well as we gather up our belongings he stands up. I stretch my arms and a small moan escapes my lips. Liam is watching me with his lips slightly parted. He awkwardly shifts again before gathering up the rubbish and disappearing around the corner. In his absence, I slip The Nightingale into his open bag and place my backpack on my back. Liam returns a minute later looking more composed but his cheeks are a little flushed.

"I have one more period then I'm done for the day. Do you have more lessons? I can wait for you to finish. I usually hang back an extra hour or two to study anyway" he smiles, "I'm rambling aren't I?"

"Yes" I smirk at him as we start walking towards the library exit, "I have two more lessons than a half lesson. I have work after though so you don't need to wait around for me. The cafe is only a five-minute walk. I'll just walk home from there"

"Oh! I can meet you there. I much rather study there. That table I was sitting at has the best chairs I've ever sat in. I can drop you off home after your shift if you like" Liam says.

We leave the building and walk down the steps until we reach the bottom. It's chilly out here and I'm grateful for Liam's jumper.

"Okay! I only have a short shift. Four till seven. The cafe closes at six but I have to stay back an hour to clean and to inventory. I don't think Gianna will mind if you stay back. I'll text her and confirm and I will also reserve table seven for you. It's the best, isn't it? The chairs are amazing" I grin taking out my phone. Gianna replies almost instantly giving me the okay.
"She said it's fine!"

"Awesome! Also, we never did get to talk about you and what your plan for the future" Liam says as we start walking again. We have to separate ourselves in a minute when we reach the fork in the path. The left path leads to finance and the right path leads to English. How I wish I was going that way.

"I'm just going to be an accountant. That's my plan" I shrug, "do you have any practical placement or anything for your course?"

"Yes actually. I'm on it" he chuckles, "I actually go to Kempton Prep. It's a school for people who want to career in literature, arts and media. I have to do one one-year practical placement at Augustbrook assisting on the screen production for Wicked that the first years are doing. I'm the assistant director but if I do well and prove to my professors I can manage and direct this play, I get to my own production of Frankenstein and become a playwright for the October art fest for my final year and actually perform a real play at Kingsley Theatre on the East Coast!"

"That is amazing Liam! I hope you do well and prove to them. I can't wait to see it...both of your performances!" I grin at him but I hide my shock and jealousy that he goes to Kempton Prep, "Wow, Kempton Prep! You must be amazing. They only accept the best."

"You've heard of Kempton Prep?" He asks.

"Yeah," I smile sadly, "I know all about Kempton Prep. I had a scholarship there" I blurt out. Liam looks at me in surprise.

"A scholarship?" He repeats in shock, "You must have been amazing at whatever you applied for. It's almost impossible to get a scholarship there. Wait. I didn't think they offer a finance program?"