Sixteen

Love yourself. Know your worth. Accept growth. Appreciate life. These things will help you through ANY Situation
-UNKNOWN

~~

"Jack?" I cry as I stare at him. It's been over a month since the breakup and since I've seen or spoken to him. Why is he here!? I feel so dizzy.

"Lot," he says quietly with a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I snap, tearing my gaze away to look at my parents. They're both glaring at Jack with so much anger that it makes me sad that my easygoing, non-confrontational parents, can hate someone so much. This isn't them and I hate Jack even more for it.

"I..erm" he starts running his hand through his hair. He looks away from me and looks at my parents before looking at his own.

"He's here because I didn't raise my son like this Lottie" Holly snaps, "Your dad called us last night and told us everything. We are so sorry."

"We are very sorry sweetheart" James adds. I can't help but smile at them, I love James and Holly, they're like second parents to me.

"Thank you," I say, "but it wasn't either of you that did this. The one that should be apologising is Jack."

"Oh, sweetheart. He'll be doing more than just apologising. Believe me" Holly says glaring at Jack who looks like he wants to shrivel up and die.

"Can we talk in private please Lot" Jack says finally looking at me. Dad goes to stand up but Mum grabs him and shakes her head no. Liam steps forward, I can feel him behind me and his presence gives me a sense of peace.

I smile a little and Jack smiles too until his gaze looks up and he notices Liam.

"Who are you?" he snaps.

"I'm Liam" Liam says calmly as he goes to stand next to me, I sneak a look a him, his body is all tense and his eyes are alight with anger.

"Yeah, so who the fuck are you and why-" Jack starts until he looks down and sees Liam's jumper.

Before anyone can react Jack closes the gap between us and jumps on Liam as he starts punching him.

"Jack! Get off him!" I scream as I try to grab his arms but he knocks me back and I fall against the table breaking a glass. I hiss as it slices into my skin. I quickly look back and see both my dad and Jack's dad pulling Liam and Jack apart. Liam's eyebrow is bleeding, a bruise is already forming around his eye and his nose is bleeding. He must have gotten a few hits in because Jack's lip is bleeding.

"What the fuck was that all about!" Holly screams as she grabs Jack's arm.

"That hoodie. You're the guy that got into her head and broke us up. Fuck you" Jack spits.

"I think the fact you're an abusive cheating piece of shit was the cause actually," Liam says as he wipes his nose with the tissue Mum gives him.

Jack turns towards me with so much anger, "I can't believe you're fucking this guy. Who knew you were such a slut" he barely gets the word out before his father punches him right in the mouth. Jack goes down and we all watch him fall.

"You. Do. Not. Ever. Speak. To. Lottie. Like. That. Again." James spits every word out.

Jack just sits on the floor and wipes his mouth as he stares up at his father.

"I am disgusted with you. We saw what that horrible girl posted. What you've done to Lottie. How dare you!" James continues, "The only words you say to Lottie is a fucking apology. Not that you even deserve to be in her presence again. Lottie was the best damn thing that has ever happened to you, the best damn thing that will EVER happen to you. I hope she moves on and finds someone who will cherish her like she deserves. It's going to hurt you so badly once she does and you'll going to live with that regret for the rest of your life Jack. And you fucking deserve it." he finishes and with that, he quickly leaves the house. Holly watches her husband go, "I'm just so so sorry. To all of you. Especially you Lottie." She then follows James out Leaving my parents, me and Liam with Jack still on the floor wiping his blood away.

"Don't worry Jack. You'll get yours from us at a later date. One more hit and I'll think you'll end up in hospital and I know Lottie won't forgive me if I spend the night in jail" Dad says, I nod in agreement.

"I want to talk to Jack alone," I say.

"I don't think that's a good idea" dad starts.
"Lottie your hand," mum says.

"It'll be fine for the moment. Please take Liam into the kitchen and get ice on his wounds. I'll be fine" I tell them. They share a look and finally nod their hands. Liam gives me a smile as he passes and I quickly return it. Once they leave, I turn my attention to Jack. He's staring at me so I stare back. After minutes of just staring I sigh and sit down in front of him.

"You need to stop injuring my hands. Damn. It's the same hand as last time" I sigh as I share at the new cut formed over the scars that the knife left.

"Lot I-" Jack starts but I cut him off.

"Save it. I don't want an apology, Jack. I want a reason. I want to know why. You already decided to come to Augustbrook. You already enrolled. That's why you had no issues getting into the course you wanted. You went there for her. For Brianna. Because you met her in Piny Hills and decided to follow her to Port Angus in case you had a chance with her. That's why you started working out and acting different before going there but why bring me there Jack? Why not cut your losses and I could have gone to Kemprom Prep?"

Then it dawns on me why

"Because in case it didn't work out and you ended up alone. I'm just a backup plan. The safe option. But when you finally got her, why didn't you just cut your losses then instead of dragging this out and fucking Brianna behind my back? Why didn't you let me go? I could have went to Kempton Prep or even gone back home. It would have hurt but it would have hurt a hell of a lot less than what you've put me through" I say quietly.

"Because I love you Lot. Fuck. And I don't want to lose you. This thing with Brianna. It's fucked up. I don't know why. I think it's because I was always the fat ugly dork. People like Brianna, they just laughed at me but when I met her she saw something in me so I wanted to give it a chance. I got wrapped up in it and liked the attention. I just couldn't stop. I don't love her. I've tried. Fuck Lot. I've tried but I just don't. I love you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" he says. I just stare at him, there's real tears in his eyes and they start falling down his cheeks.

"I would never treat someone how you've treated me, Jack. Never. I would never ever treat someone I loved the way you treated me."

Loved?" Is all Jack says back as he looks up at me.

"Yes loved. I don't love you anymore Jack" I sigh, "I need you to leave. I need you to stop messaging me daily..to stop messaging me all together. The best thing you could do for me, especially after all you put me through, is to let me go."

Jack just stares at me. Neither of us speak. Minutes tick by until he finally pulls himself to his feet and leaves. I don't move until I hear the front door shut.

I release a long breath as I close my eyes. A small smile slowly spreads across my lips.

I'm okay.