Thirteen

don't be afraid to leave it all behind... there is new light, and new life, there are new worlds waiting
- BUTTERFLIES RISING

~~

Something went wrong.

I got the job at Rockin' Ice Cream Shop a few days ago and I already had to quit. Yesterday I was working my third shift and I was enjoying it when Brianna and Lacey walked in. I didn't know who was more shocked. They started whispering to each other and ran out. I had to regrettably quit on the spot much to the manager's disappointment but I couldn't risk them telling Jack and him showing up. It would wreck all the healing I've accomplished. I caught an Uber home and tried not to have a panic attack. I got a call that night from the manager telling me a blonde guy came in shortly after I left and was asking me. She thankfully understood why I had to leave when I did. I apologised again and thanked her for hiring me and under different circumstances I would have stayed working for her.

Luckily the timing gods were in my favour again because today I have my suitcase packed and I'm currently in the car with Liam who's driving me to the airport. In just over three hours I'll be with my family, I cannot wait.

"Are you excited?" Liam smirks.

"Yes! I can't believe I'm going home!" I grin widely at him until I notice the look in his eyes, he's worried.

"It's going to be so good for you to see your family. There's no place like home, I can't wait until I'm back in Kempton Prep so I can see my family regularly again. Whilst you're there...do you think you will want to stay?" he asks.

I haven't thought much about it, I try to avoid thinking about the future. I said what I said about how I didn't want to go backwards but being surrounded by my family and friends within my hometown..it might be tempting to stay. Apart from Liam, there is nothing for me here..especially now that I don't even have a job to go back to.

"I don't know" I tell him truthfully, "It did cross my mind at one point but I haven't put a lot of thought into it but the temptation will be there. After all Piny Hill is home, it has my family and friends, no Jack and I could get my old job back or work for my parents but...it will be filled with so many memories of Jack I don't think my mental health could handle more than a few weeks of it. I need a fresh start."

I open my mouth to tell him my plans about moving to the city but decided against it. I can see the relief in his eyes, I don't want to bring the sadness back.

"I understand that. If you did move back, I totally understand. Don't worry about your belongings, I will send it or if it's easier, keep it and bring it with me to Kempton Prep next year" he smiles at me before returning his attention back to the road.

"That'll be great but I honestly don't see that happening. At this point, I'm coming back. Do you think we could be roommates at Kempton Prep? Do they allow the opposite sex to share accommodation?" I ask hopefully. It'll be nice for us to share, we have a great rhythm together and we know we get along. The thought of having a random person for a roommate makes me feel ill.

"Yes, that's allowed. That would actually be great! I hated my old roommate. He only ate toast if he burnt it until it could be classed as charcoal and he ate toast every damn day" Liam laughs, and I laugh too as he pulls into the drop-off zone.

My heart pounds wildly as he parks the car and we get out.

"Sorry, I can't see you off. I have class" he frowns as he pulls my suitcase from the car.

"Don't worry about it! Thank you so much for the lift. I'll send you a text when I arrive. I will also video call you later, once I explain to my family who you are"
I grin.

"I'll love that!" Liam then pulls me into a tight hug and I mould my body into his. This is the first time we've physically touched since the breakup. I inhale his smell and smile.

"I'm going to miss you" I whisper into his shoulder. Liam tightens his grip, "I'm going to miss you too Lottie."

We slowly let each other go and Liam tucks a loose lock behind my ear, "Safe travels and enjoy yourself. Don't let yourself get too caught up in the memories. You've been doing so well, keep taking your meds. Go outside, don't be ashamed or afraid to speak to someone if you're struggling and you can call or text me anytime. Day or night. I'll catch the next plane if I have to. Say the word and I'm there. Remember you're not alone anymore Lottie. You are surrounded by people who love you."

Tears well in my eyes and I open my mouth to verbally vomit all my emotions but the security guard interrupts us, "Move along! Move your car, sir. It's a drop-off zone only!"

"Right. Thanks" Liam says giving him a smile. The moment is lost and I quickly pull Liam into another hug.

"I'll see you soon," I tell him as we let go. I quickly grab my bag and racing off without a look back.

Author's Note

How are you finding the books so far?