Chapter 2: Traveling to Raven Square

Ally

I giggle and pull my daddy out of the house. "Daddy, come on! We need to go get my school supplies! I have to be there in two days!" I squeal. I was out of my pajamas and wearing my favorite pink flowery dress to go shopping for my school supplies.

My father chuckles and watches me in amusement. "Okay, okay... let's get going," he says and holds my free hand as my other hand is occupied by my letter. We needed it because it told us exactly what we'd need to buy. I look it over once more and smile happily.

The supplies listed below are what every first-year student will need. The books will automatically change when the student is chosen for their specific school, so don't be surprised when the books are blank. The school uniform will also be gray until then.

The supplies needed can be found only in Raven Square so be sure to get them soon! They are as follows:

1 school uniform

1 copy of Spellcaster's Guide: Year One

1 copy of History of the Magical World: Year One

1 copy of Potions with Steps and Guides: Year One

1 copy of Guide to Magical Creatures: Year One

at least 6 birch wood pencils

at least 2 quills with squid ink (no human-made pens)

I smile happily and hug the letter close to myself. It has been my dream to go to Raven's since I was very small. My magic abilities started to come out when I was only seven years old which I am very proud of. I was playing my daddy's wand one day and it started to glow. It was then that I just knew that I was going to be accepted into the best school ever just like my parents! There was no way that I was going to be normal and boring like Ms. Beets, my next-door neighbor who must have at least twenty frogs in her house.

Daddy leads me down the street while still holding my hand. "Stay close. To get to Raven Square, we will need Jason's help..." he murmurs to himself. Who was Jason... wait! "My godfather? That Jason?" I ask with wide eyes. I didn't know he was a wizard too!

"Yes, your godfather." Daddy chuckles and leads me over to his house. "He will be a teacher's assistant this year. He's very smart and a fantastic spell caster. That's what he'll be assisting in. I bet the six qyears will give him some trouble." he shakes his head and smiles. I couldn't believe it! Jason was the best! I just know that he will be my favorite teacher!

Soon we reach Jason's house. It was a small lonely house that was light gray. Momma tells me all the time that it was the perfect house for a small family and I love playing in it. It has many different beautiful flowers in the front of the house by the porch and the walkway, but also a big garden out back full of veggies and fruit trees.

Daddy knocks on the front door and soon my godfather Jason Hill answers the door. He was sixteen years old and had kind blue-green eyes that were lighter than my daddy's. He also had light brown hair. "Hello there you two. Just got off the phone with Akana. Congratulations kiddo! I knew you'd get accepted." he tells me and ruffles my hair.

I beam up at him and hug him. "Yeah! I heard you're going to be a professor! I hope I get you as my teacher!" I cheer and giggle.

Jason nods and winks. "A professor's assistant." He corrects me. "But if you get chosen to be on the good side, then yes I will be," he tells me and leads me and daddy into his house which is always so clean and inviting.

His living room is so normal looking since he grew up in the human world. People whisper about how he isn't from a magic family, but that isn't true at all. Momma told me that his mother's grandmother had been a witch and even got into the good side of Raven's. Everyone seems to forget about that fact.

"Alright. Now the only way to get into Raven Square and even to the front gates of the school is to use a special charm. They didn't spend one with you because they knew I would be taking you there both times. All three of you when it's time to go to Raven's." Jason explains mostly to daddy since he was looking at him as he speaks. "There have been some sightings... those shadows have been around and it's making everyone uneasy. Some parents are waiting to spend their children there just so they will be safe. They've closed off the usual ways to get there."

Daddy frowns. "I see. Being there doesn't mean they will be safe... it doesn't matter where you are. It always finds you... that's what they say anyway." his eyes darken. "If I could destroy it, I would. It took one of my kind. It ruined what should have been the happiest moment of our lives... mine and Akana's."

Jason puts a hand on his shoulder gently. "Dude... easy. I understand your anger. Take a deep breath..."

I watch and, as listen to them, my blood runs cold. The Dark One... the thing that took my twin away, that caused momma so much grief, and daddy so much rage. I don't remember him, but I still feel the loss. It's like a huge emptiness that is always there in my heart. He was the other half of me, but he was taken away from us, probably gone forever. All because of the stupid Dark One and the stupid prophecy.

Everyone knows that the firstborn in a set of twins is always powerless. What could my twin do against the Dark One? He would be normal like a human. The most he would have been able to learn would be with potions, but even then no potion would damage this all-powerful being. It's just so horrible!

Jason and daddy seemed to sense my mood change and that was the end of that conversation. Instead, Jason smiles and takes us to an empty room that has one dragon statue in the middle of it. "Both of you hold my hands as we surround the charmed statue. It will only respond to me," he says and circles it carefully his eyes suddenly focused. I can sense the raw magic of it and just know that it had to be a strong spell. My godfather is a powerful spell caster indeed.

I take one of his hands and hold it and daddy's hand firmly. "Alright. Close your times and calm your minds. You will feel the ground shift under you but don't panic. Just keep your eyes shut until I say so." Jason tells us and I close my eyes and try to clear my mind, but I am just so excited. I have never been out of the safety of my little town and I just can't wait to see all the new things. What would it be like? Would I make new friends? Would I meet an evil family?

"Accipere." I hear Jason suddenly say and I gasp as the ground shifts underneath me. I feel like I'm flying through the air and I grip their hands tightly. My breathing picks up and I try not to panic, but it's so hard. I have never felt magic like this before.

It felt like forever, but it was only seconds when I was back on solid ground. "Here we are, Ally." I slowly open my eyes feeling dizzy and a bit sick. Jason smiles down at me. "Welcome to Raven Square kiddo."

I look around and realize I'm inside a small closed-in area. I stumble over to the light and I am in awe. I've never seen so many people in one place before. There are so many shops that people come in and out of and I notice there are many kids my age as well.

Daddy walks over to my side and holds my hand once again. "Stay close to me. I don't want you to get lost." he looks down at me and seems to sense my excitement. "Come on Ally. Let's get your supplies. This will be your first real taste of the world I know and love."