Chapter 37: Was it All a Lie...?

Ariel

I swallow hard as I watch with the people I know now as my family. It doesn't feel real... it's more awkward than natural to me which makes me feel guilty. I can tell Akana is super happy to have his son back but... why don't I feel relieved?

If this is real, then... what I went through... I want an explanation. I want Father to look me in the eye and tell me why he let me suffer. He knew what Mother was doing to me. He even went down to the punishment room and scolded me for being too loud. He never stopped it... not once did he ever stop Mother from hurting me.

I clench my fists hard until they tremble and my knuckles turn white. I never once got mad about this ever. I assumed it was because I was such a disgrace. I just had to do better... make them proud of me... be the best Moonfall I can be. Yet... after everything I put myself through... that I endured... was it all really a lie?

I jump feeling a hand go over one of my fists. "Oh sorry!" I look over and see Ally. Memories of her turning on me make me wary of her so I pull my hand away. I see the hurt in her eyes but I look away. I usually forgive so easily... but I can't right now. I'm so mad... angry... confused.

"Leave him be kiddo." I hear Jason murmur to her. "He's going through a lot. Don't push him..." if it had been Jason who grabbed my hand, would I have pulled away? I'm not sure... but on my other side is Brandon who is holding one of my fists so maybe so.

I had insisted on him coming with us to question Father. Maybe it's a family matter but he like Jason has been on my side since he met me. I trust him a lot and need someone to lean on. Though now that I think about it... will he get in trouble in his school for being like this with me?

"I'll be fine, Ari." I blink and look over at him. "He's never gotten on me about seeing you. I get teased by my classmates but who cares? After a while, they assumed Dean Moonfall ordered me to... which he didn't!" He sees my face pale and immediately soothes me. "Anyway, I won't be in trouble or anything. Besides... we'll all be in the same classes next year anyway." He shrugs.

Right, that's true. It makes me relax. I'll get to be with Brandon more often which makes me feel relieved too. I look forward as he walks and takes a deep breath.

"Oh, there you are!" I look up sharply. "Greetings, Professor Magnolia!" Jason says cheerfully and walks ahead to shake hands with her. "You did a great job in there, Assistant Hill. Don't feel regretful for those shadows attacking little Ariel. I didn't even think about it." She says to reassure him. Jason knows and sighs. "Thank you for that..."

"Anyway! Silas Moonfall is waiting inside. He says that he will explain everything and why he did what he did." She eyes Phoenix and his one red eye. "Don't go after him, Mr. Rose. I remember how you were a hothead back when you attended here." Phoenix winces and grins sheepishly. "I can't help being angry..." he mutters. Akana squeezes his hand and smiles up at him. His eyes are bloodshot from crying... do I look like that?

I subconsciously use my bangs to hide my eyes and swallow hard. I don't know how effective it is with my new hair color. "Come on." I hear Professor Magnolia say and the door opens. I swallow hard and walk inside with the others. I realize we're in Professor Sable's classroom... and at the teacher's desk is Father.

He looks disinterested as always his black eyes narrowed and in this lighting making his hair look like black ink. I see Phoenix clench his fists and I feel nervous by it. I don't want to see any violence... I move closer to Brandon and he smiles encouragingly at me. "He won't bite..." he whispers so I nod quickly and swallow.

"F-Father..." I murmur. I sense the Rose's looking at me but what else can I call him? I've known him as Father all my life. "I-I want to hear... in your own words... is it all true?" I ask. Father raises an amused eyebrow at me. Is my voice carrying enough? "A-am I really... not your son? Was it all... really a lie?"