Chapter 7: Ariel's Wand Choosing

Samson

I watch nervously from my seat as the first student was called since their last name started with an 'A'. I swallow hard and try to sink in my seat. At least I will be called in the middle so hopefully, no one will even remember me. I feel my father's cold eyes on me from time to time and shudder. I know what he is expecting. He doesn't want me to somehow mess up and embarrass him.

I don't even know why Father sent out an application for me to attend Raven's. I have never shown any magic abilities. When I hold my father's wand nothing happens. The same goes for Simon's, mother's, or my eldest brother Scott's wands. I never got a reaction out of any of them so I figured I was powerless. Now here I am waiting with all the other first years for their turn.

"Danny Gray." The lady calls the next name and I watch as he goes into the magical circle. I sense the deep raw magic coming from it. We can't see what's going on inside. Father has told me that everyone's experience inside the circle is different. I just hope mine isn't that scary

I watch him seem transfixed on something and I see his wand appear in his hand. He then seems to write his name before he walks out. His gray robes change into the white color of a student from the good side and the banner reads 'Welcome to the school of light Danny Gray'. The students that have already been chosen for that school cheer and welcome him with open arms.

I spot the girl from Raven Square also cheering and smiling. So she is a Rose huh? I don't understand why Father hates them so much. They're happy so why does it matter who her parents are? I don't even know why her mother is called a freak either. She seems like such a cheerful person. I hope we can be friends... well I will probably be chosen to be an evil student while she will be chosen for good.

I swallow hard again and feel my anxiety pick up. Oh, I hope I don't pass out in front of everyone. "Hey. It's alright." I tense when I feel a hand go onto my shoulder and turn my head to look at the boy next to me. He has the darkest blue eyes I've ever seen. "Just take deep breaths. If you turn any paler you'll turn into a ghost." He whispers to me and rubs my shoulder to calm me down.

He hasn't been called yet so he was wearing gray robes like me. It is barely lit in the room so I can't make out a lot of his features but his eyes glow with a level of intelligence and power that makes him seem much older than he really was. "I-I'm sorry..." I stutter and look down. The names are still being called in the dark ground and soon the M's are being called. It is almost my turn and I can't help but feel overwhelmed. I don't want all eyes on me. I'd rather die than be the center of attention, I just can't take it.

"Deep breaths. You'll be fine." The boy whispers and continues to watch the other students get their wands. I open my mouth to ask for his name when I hear my name being called.

"Samson Moonfall." I feel like I am unable to breathe. I stand up and it makes a few kids near me jump since I did it so suddenly. I know I am shaking like a leaf as I stumble forward.

"A Moonfall? Oh please we know where he's going."

"Yeah, why must we wait?"

"He'll just be another evil cocky boy."

"Ha look he's so nervous!"

"Must be trying to play innocent."

I hear all the complaints from the other students. All eyes are on me as they talk like I'm not even here. I feel my chest tighten and I wish I could just go hide from everyone. I look forward and the TA who came in late catches my eye. He's dressed as a professor who teaches on the good side, but he looks so young. He gives me an encouraging smile that makes me feel a little better but not much better.