Chapter 38: What?! No Punishment?!

Phoenix

I'm dumbfounded by what I hear. The bastard isn't going to be punished for kidnapping my son and having our lives a living hell all this time? He's going to go about his day without any consequences?! Seeing that smug look on his face makes it clear he knew this would happen too. What the hell are they thinking?!

Professor Magnolia looks over to us and must see how angry I am. I've never been able to hide my rage, it just comes too easily. They say it's because of my bloodline but how can I know? No one to ask anymore.

"Phoenix, calm down. I know you find this unfair but they've thought about this in multiple ways. Because Ariel is a firstborn twin who can use magic, he is seen as the chosen one." I narrow my eyes. Who cares about that? "If Silas hadn't taken him, he would have died at the hands of the Dark One. This is a major factor in their decision."

I can't help but let out a bitter laugh. Of course, they only care about what my son can do for them. They don't even consider what this has done to us as a family, how it destroyed Akana and left us feeling helpless. All the while it was all because of this selfish asshole. "Phoenix..." Professor Magnolia cautions but I don't really care.

"Letting him get abused and kidnapping him isn't enough for a punishment. Why am I not surprised? None of you assholes ever helped children you knew were getting abused anyway. What should I expect?" I turn away feeling ready to explode. "You never stepped in for either of us after all. You admitted to knowing back then... so fuck off." I storm out before I really go insane.

"Phoenix!" I hear her shout after me but I really don't care anymore. At this point, I hold zero respect for any of them. The only regret I have at this point is cursing in front of my kids. Once I get out of the hallway, I punch a brick wall hard enough to make a hole. My strength remains it seems... I haven't used it in a while. I pull my hand out and stare at my hand which is bleeding now.

How numb I've become... when did it all begin? "Heh..." I chuckle darkly to myself and go out to the courtyard to sit. I lean back against my hands and look up at the sky blankly. I expected too much... but I thought they'd at least give him leave or something. Perhaps they fear the Dark One will come for him... who cares? I clench my fists and let out a deep sigh.

"U-uh..." I tense hearing a small voice and look down. My son is standing there with a pale, nervous face. "M-May I sit... with you?" He mumbles. I blink slowly then nod. "Yeah... go ahead, kiddo." I scoot over and watch him sit down. We then sit in silence for a while and it starts to feel awkward. What do I say to him? He probably feels confused by everything that's happening now.

As I scramble to think of something, Ariel sighs. "I-I..." I look over at him and see him playing with his hands. "I... I don't know... how to treat you... I-I mean... you're supposed to be my father... and Akana my mother... b-but... Father has always been... Father... you know?" He swallows hard and refuses to meet my eyes. Is he worried that I'll get mad and hit him? "B-but... I've known... I don't belong... t-they always made it clear but... I-I tried really hard... you know?"

I can tell by his tone he's ready to cry. I hesitate and then look up at the sky again. "... I grew up being told I was a murderer." Ariel tenses and looks over to me. "I didn't belong... I should have died instead of my mother and sisters... and that bas... that man made sure I knew." I hold out my arm making him jump a bit. "Feel... I won't bite."

Ariel seems nervous but he feels my arm. His eyes widen a bit as he feels what's under the tattoos: deep, ugly scars. "This is how he punished me... among other things but these leave visual proof. You spoke of a punishment room... I had a room dedicated to causing me so much physical pain... for seducing him he always said..." I scoff a bit. "In the end... when that man was dying, he finally told me I wasn't his son. I killed his wife but we didn't share any blood between us. So... I feel lost. I also got really angry for a while... but what else could I do? The object of my anger was gone forever. And I never met my biological father either."

I let out a sigh. "I get... how you feel. I hope one day you can call me Dad and Akana Mom... but we won't push it either. We're... so happy to know you're alive." Ariel is quiet for a while if something I said is bothering him. "Seducing... huh...?" He smiles bitterly. I look over to him but decide not to ask. I wonder what the Moonfall's told him... even if Silas is an asshole, I do know he doesn't tolerate perverts. He kicked Sebastian out of the Moonfall family after all.

I decide to change the subject. "It's strange... to have a son that looks so much like me... but is so much like my love. Your nervous kindness especially." I chuckle a bit. It's then that I realize my rage has faded away.

Ariel smiles a little. "Yeah... maybe so. I'm... happy... that you two accept me so easily." He looks at his lap for a moment. "And thank you... for allowing me to have time... to adapt. It won't feel right but... I doubt they'd let me go home with them... and Mother... will be happy to see me go." He murmurs and hides his eyes with his bangs. I notice he does that mean he's hiding tears.

I pat the top of his head making him flinch and smile. "You're a good boy... we want and love you. I know... it doesn't mean much now but in the future I hope you will feel joy from it." I take away my hand. Ariel looks up at me and nods. "Yeah... I do too..." he looks at my bleeding hand and puts his hand over it. "Kiddo, you don't..." I trail off as he speaks. "Heal."

The stinging in my hand starts to fade and once he moves his hand away, I'm surprised to see it completely healed. I hold it up and don't see a scar anywhere. Back when Akana was his age, he could never heal it this perfectly. "... Thank you kiddo." I smile at him but deep down I feel dread.

He's already strong and a natural... I didn't want this life for him, to have a prophecy over his hand to control him. I wished he'd have a simple life with us learning magic and having fun. I don't know if that will be the case though.

Ariel beams up at me. "Akana taught me when I got really ahead!" He giggles softly. I grin seeing how happy he looks. "That's great, kiddo." Ariel pauses and bites his lip. "Oh... err... I said Akana..." he looks down. "It's all good. Take your time... when it becomes natural then I'm sure... he will love for you to call him mom."

Ariel looks up again. His mismatched eyes are so wide and innocent. He's just a kid... I wish he didn't have this weighing on his shoulders. Soon we sit in silence again but it isn't so awkward anymore.

--------------------------------------

Ally

I watch daddy storm off then some time later Ariel goes after him even if he looks so afraid and pale. Daddy never says so many bad words... not in front of me anyway.

Momma is staring at Headmaster Magnolia. "Is what Nix said true? You all knew... what we were going through?" Her look of guilt seems to answer his question. "Ha... then no, I'm not apologizing for him. I do believe my husband's outburst is valid then."

He takes my hand. "You knew what we went through... what my family did to me for being who I am... what I am. And did nothing...?" No response comes. Silas is watching with curiosity now as if this is all news to him. "We weren't allowed to interfere unless..."

"What? Did they have to try and kill me for any of you to do anything?" Momma is trembling which scares me. He's not quick to anger at all. He's also calm and forgiving but now? His anger is making tears build up in his eyes. "M-momma...?" I squeeze his hand.

"I see... I wonder if you all knew what Silas did and kept it from us." He mutters. "No Akana... I can't speak for them but I..." Momma cuts her off. "I don't care anymore. Just to know that you let him do that to me... and you did nothing to stop it? I've lost all respect for all of you." He turns and takes me along out of the room. Who is momma talking about? I don't ask knowing that momma isn't in a good state of mind.

"Akana..." I hear Headmaster Magnolia let out a heavy sigh. I'm mad too. So much for having people that will protect us. I hear footsteps following and I realize for once Jason and Brandon didn't follow Ariel. Maybe they thought he and daddy needed some time alone? With momma looking so sad and disappointed, I hope I can cheer him up. As I try to though, he smiles half-heartedly. Maybe now isn't a good time after all...