Chapter 29: Shadows Looming

Ariel

This last week has been very tense for everyone. Odd shadows have been lingering around and making everyone uneasy. Even the professors are super tense since they can't get rid of them. Whether we're inside or outside, they linger out of place even hovering in the sunlight. Headmaster Magnolia doesn't even know where they came from and so far they haven't done a thing... well that is until today.

As we make our way to the first class, the shadows that keep following us suddenly attack a boy everyone calls Eddy. We can do nothing but watch in horror as he cries out and tries to get away only for the shadows to tear into him more. Some older students and professors spring into action calling on many spells to attack the shadows. None of them seem to work as the shadows remain unaffected.

Suddenly they stop and go away disappearing into the darkness around us leaving Eddy alone. He is unconscious and bleeding his white and gold robes torn to pieces. Some professors take the boy away while we are ordered to head to our classrooms and wait for more instructions.

So we all do what we're told and I find myself wheezing and terrified. What's going on? Why did they suddenly attack? Everyone seems so sure it's the Dark One but how did they get into the school? Because of all the tension and confusion, we have a range of those who were quiet to those who couldn't stop talking.

"Did you see that? Why did they suddenly attack?"

"Why choose Eddy as a target? He's harmless!"

"Right?! He can't do anything right... what if this is a warning?"

"The shadows will start attacking us all! I need them following us was weird!"

"It must be the Dark One! Who else could it be?!"

"How did they get inside the school though? We're supposed to be safe here!"

"They must have a minion in here!"

They continue to talk and shoot suspicious looks at everyone. I feel many eyes go on me next and I tense up. I'm already on edge so those eyes don't make me feel any better. Do they think I did something? How could I? If the Dark One was working with a Moonfall, it would be Father or Simon! Not useless and scared me!

I jump when I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up. Ally is watching me worriedly. Her yellow eyes and expression show just how shaken she is. Her face is pale yet she's trying to help me calm down. "Don't let them get you down. You're just as scared... no way you could have done any of that."

We haven't spoken in a long time. She did secretly thank me for the charm but she doesn't wear it. Probably because Brandon and Jason wear theirs everywhere and it's obvious I made them. Other than that though she avoids me like I have some sort of sickness.

"T-thank you... for trusting me, Ally." I offer a weak smile. I hear snickers next and Ally shoots the gossipers a glare. "They have nothing else better to do. They're such a pain!" She sits next to me and sighs. "You're too jumpy to do something like that. I don't think this is something someone could fake either. So yes... I trust you."

Even if it's for an embarrassing reason, I'm glad that I have her on my side. We all sit in silence for a bit only a few people whispering and coming up with theories. When our second class is supposed to start, the doors suddenly open. I look back and see Jason. Normal he would be a comforting presence, but that look in his eyes is anything but.

He walks to the front of our class and speaks. "Everyone quiet down!" He says in a stern tone. He's never looked so serious before... it makes my nerves get worse. "As you know, Eddy was attacked by those shadows but there's more." I tense and feel so much dread. There's more bad news? What's going on?