Chapter 37 | Football and Mishaps

I knock on the door and smile at Tyler, who is busy holding his guitar. "Can you even play?" I ask as I set the Chinese food down beside him. "Not right now, but it's nice to hold. Did the others leave?" I help him sit up in his bed and pull the tray towards him. "yeah, they wanted to get tickets for the game on Friday. You'll be discharged by then; you want to go?" I help him with the box and watch as he lets out a soft groan, sending sparks through my body. "Yes, yes, I do. God, this food is so good; they've been feeding me sh*t." I laugh and open my own box. "What movie should we watch tonight?" He scrolls through his laptop, and we settle on a comedy.

It has been 3 days since the accident, 3 days since he told me about his past, 3 days of us knowing there was a shift between us, 3 awkward days where I'm no longer his friend but not his girlfriend. 3 torturous days.

Ali and Tess were over the moon when I shared the fact that we'd kissed. Naturally, I omitted details about his past, but I felt happy that he was able to share it with me.

I glanced at Ty, busy devouring a spring roll, and a small smile spread across my lips as I leaned against him.

-

"Come on."

"No."

"Ella, come on."

"No, I can't."

He gave me a blank stare, and I returned it with a smile. "Bella, she doesn't bite; besides, this is the only time you'll meet them before I'm released tomorrow." As I march towards a grinning Tyler, I let out a dramatic sign and mutter.

I couldn't help but admire him. He is so different from the familiar, grumpy Tyler I've been acquainted with; it's almost as if a weight has been lifted and I've been gifted with the real him. The very real and annoying him.

He holds the door open, and I peer into the room. There are two beds, one occupied and the other empty. A girl who lies seemingly lifeless on the bed has a mask strapped to her face and an IV drip attached to her arm. The other is an old lady sitting in a rocking chair by the window. Tyler ushered me towards the sleeping body and introduced me.

"Soph, this is Bella, the annoying girl I told you about." I roll my eyes and shove him playfully, a soft chuckle erupting from my mouth. He turns and takes her hand and places a kiss. "Wake up soon, please," he whispers before walking to the other person. "Hi, Margie." The woman glances at him and he steps back, "What did I do?" She stands up, splurges rapid Spanish at him, and starts prodding him with her walking stick. Staring at the scene unfold, I let out a laugh.

She stops and stares at me before looking at Tyler. "Hello, I'm Margie." She shoots a glance at Tyler before walking to me and saying, "I'm Bella." She smiles. "I know; Tyler has mentioned you a few times." I raise a brow at Tyler and ask, "Has he now?" His cheeks turn red, and I smirk in delight.

Margie goes back and sits down. "So Bella," she begins, "did you know Tyler is annoying?" I laugh again as Tyler rolls his eyes, "I said sorry, Margie What more do you want me to say?" "I want you not to do stupid things! And you didn't even tell me Bella was coming; I could've dressed more appropriately." She tuts and I intercede on his behalf. "Margie, you look fine; if anything, I would've dressed up some more." I look at my dirty white Converse my grey sweatpants and my long-sleeve shirt.

"Let us take a walk, just us ladies." Margie stands and Tyler offers his good hand but she walks him away with her stick. "I'm not old enough to be assisted." We walk out, and she leads me to a garden outside.

I walk silently beside her, admiring the flowers when she speaks. "My sons never visit me." She starts and I look at her, smelling a flower. "Tyler used to visit his sister every day, I started talking to him and when he found out, he started bringing me flowers, helping, and caring for me." She looks at me with a small smile. "He's not an easy boy to love because he hides behind layers of falsity, and you think that's him, but it's not."