Chapter Seven - Popularity is an Illusion

Chapter Seven- Popularity is an illusion

When I walked in the hallway the next morning, a feeling of longing surrounded my heart. Tristan was not there to annoy me and it annoyed me. Present or absent, that boy is really the most annoying boy in my life. My head was hanging low because I was back as being me again. Tristan didn’t leave school when he was planned to but later when he had to leave country. I wondered why.

Today, we have to submit our English assignments and it will mark end of my association with two most popular boys of school. I went to Blaise’s home yesterday but he was not there so I handed over cupcakes to his mother.

I don’t think Nick even wants to talk to me. After all I’m a loner, an introvert and he is the most popular boy of this school. We are completely opposites of each other. Just because we were in same project and had lunch together didn’t mean we were best buddies. I had accepted that reality.

I shook my head throwing those thoughts out of the window and shut my locker. When I turned my head, my eyes fell on Nick who was talking to Kim with a smile on his face. He didn’t spare me a glance when I walked past them.

Someone tugged my hand and I was brought to a halt. Just for a second I thought it was Nick but that thought vanished as I saw green eyes staring back into mines curiously.

Blaise’s face was slightly flushed and hairs were matted on his forehead. They were slightly damp. His voice was breathy as he spoke.

“I wanted to thank you for the cupcakes.” He said.

“My pleasure,” I smiled at him weakly. “Did you like them?”

“You can be Betty Croker.”

I chuckled. “You are inflating my ego.”

“Let me complete my sentence- You can be Betty Croker in your dreams. In real life it is impossible.” He seemed satisfied with his words as I scowled at him.

“Return my cupcakes then.” I demanded.

“I fed them to my dog.” He shrugged.

“I’m sure your dog liked them.”

“I can’t say that. He ate one and crapped on rest.”

My mouth formed an ‘o’ as he said that. His eyes went to my lips and met mine again. Something flashed in those green orbs. But it was gone before I could read it.

He smirked at me. “I’ll meet you in Physics class.” He told me.

“Physics?” I frowned.

“Yeah, I’m in that class. If you stop being teacher’s pet, you will realize there are other animals in zoo also.”

“A donkey,” I offered.

“A lion,” he said with confidence and turned away from me. I watched his retreating form with a smile on my face.

Well someone is still talking to me. I don’t know for how long. He is not my best buddy and I’m not biggest fan of him. But he is there. That one counts too.

I sighed and walked for first class. Maybe this day will be fine. I mean there will no longer be weird stares. Kim and Eliza will be out of the way completely and I will be free. Back to being my usual self. I don’t feel happy but these days were sure fun.

There was silence in Chemistry class as a new girl entered. She was wearing a dress- a dress- that went past her knees. It was not the fact that she was wearing a dress, but she was wearing a bright yellow dress. Her pale blond hairs were left on shoulders. Her skin was pale and looked paler than mine. She had a friendly smile on her face. Her eyes were innocent as she looked around the class.