Chapter Twenty Five- I felt like I was surrounded by enemies from all sides

Chapter Twenty Five - I felt like I was surrounded by enemies from all sides.

Dad gave me a sideways look telling me to leave but I was not going anywhere. I smiled at him dismissing his silent order. I was sitting on the floor beside the armchair dad was sitting on. Blaise was sitting on thie couch watching dad. His eyes were fleeting to me. I gave him a reassuring smile. Even I didn’t know what was going to happen. I’ve often heard that fathers get protective of their daughters. And they sometimes harass their boyfriends. Not that Blaise is my boyfriend but I’m sure mom had already planted that seed of suspicion in his head. The way she called Blaise my boyfriend more than ten times already proves that. And the expression of displeasure on my dad’s face also proved he didn’t like it at all.

“So you are Beryl’s boyfriend?” Dad asked Blaise when he accepted I was not going to leave. His voice was strong, intimidating.

“No, sir.” He replied. I was glad he didn’t add yet as he had done with Dan.

“Then what are you doing here?”

“She’s my friend. I was giving her Christmas gift. I will be leaving today to spend Christmas with my family so I won’t be able to see her in next few days.”

“So you are her friend.” The way he said friend reminded me of Avril and Blaise' father.

“Yes, sir.”

“Do you plan on becoming something more?” My head snapped to dad as soon as he asked that question. My heart almost leaped out of my chest. I cursed mentally.

“Dad-“ I was unable to finish the sentence because Blaise had already answered.

“Yes, sir.” My reaction to his answer was same as that to dad’s question. Both these men are going to give me a heart attack. I opened and closed my mouth like a fish. Blaise stared at me unblinkingly to gauge my reaction and then looked back at my dad.

“Beryl, go help your mother.” Dad ordered with a hard edge to his voice. I was wanted to stay but dad hardly ever talks like that. I dejectedly went to kitchen giving a lingering look to Blaise who smiled and a pleading look to dad so who showed no emotion.

Mom was busy humming to some 80s song when I entered. She was making sandwiches and I worked with her. She assured me that dad won’t scare Blaise away. She had already told dad that Blaise would take care of me and marry me in future. I wanted to bang my head against the counter after hearing her words.

I was nervously peeking out of the kitchen towards the direction of living room. After about fifteen minutes, I walked out with mom. She and dad were hungry after their long ride. They wanted something to eat. Usually I make them something to eat but today the situation was a bit different.

When we reached the living room, dad was smiling and so was Blaise. Mother greeted them loudly and their attention shifted to us. My eyes wavered between dad and Blaise. What were they talking about? What was the outcome of their conversation? I was curious.

Blaise said that he will have to leave. When I asked him what dad said to him, he only smiled and said goodbye. Dad also wasn’t too interested in talking about it. At least he didn’t ask me to stay away from Blaise. I don’t know if he asked Blaise to stay away from me. I’ll have to talk to him about it.

*

School started again after winter holidays. Most of time was spent thinking about Blaise’ words. I’ve not contact him during whole span of holidays because it was the time for family. Blaise called me a few times but he too was busy with his big family.

I asked dad and Blaise both about what they talked about but neither of them let out anything. All I got from Blaise was ‘stuff’ and from dad, a mere sideways glance. He had made sure of that. Whenever I stood in front of him and asked that, he turned away and looked at me with suspicion. I stopped after fifty tries.

Dan visited us and he was ecstatic. And he annoyed me very much. I still remember waiting for Santa Clause up all night with him. But it was fun to be with him. And it also looked like Dan had started acquainting with this new girl. I hope the repeat of past doesn’t happen again. Though that previous girl got what Dame graced her with.

Hallways were chiming with students. Everyone seemed happy after the holidays. I didn’t want to come to school. It is weird. At the beginning of the holidays I wanted to go to school but by the end, I was acting like a normal teenager.

Mom and dad departed yesterday. They said they would return soon. The house gets lonely sometimes. But in these past few months, Blaise has been a very good company. I still remember his words to dad. He wanted to be something more than a friend. It really made me smile. But I still wondered if Blaise was really serious. I like him. But does he like me?

His actions speak that he does but he has never said the words. I won’t accept anything lesser than the words. He has to say the words. But who will say them first. Me or Him?

I sighed. Look at you Beryl. Too confident that Blaise likes you.

I looked around the hallway for a sight of Blaise but instead I saw the dark head of Jessica. She was skipping towards me with a broad smile on her face. I swear I could see light radiating off her. She was glowing.

Before I could realize what was happening, he threw herself at me. Startled by the action, I was knocked backwards and my back hit the lockers painfully. I groaned loudly. She pulled away from me with that radiant smile still plastered on her face. It was so bright that I had to shield my eyes from her face.

“Jessica, what was that? Are you planning to kill me?”

She pulled my hands down and stared at me. “You won’t believe what happened!” She squealed.

“What happened?” I frowned when I started seeing my friend past that light.

“Josh invited me for Christmas with his family. I had so much fun….” And she went on and on about it for ten minutes without taking a breath and stopped only when bell rang signaling start of the class. She ran towards her class and I ran towards mine.

I didn’t see Blaise for rest of the day. He might not be back from holidays yet. In lunch break, Josh was also not there. It was only Jessica and me. And the day must be titled for Jessica’s rant. She started again with her fantasy. I tried not to interrupt her

“You know what will happen a few years from now? I will marry Josh and you will marry Blaise. We will spend our Christmas together. Boys will get a tree and then we will decorate it with lights. We will make cookies and boys will make cake. We will thank Santa for giving us our husbands. Those will be amazing times. And then we will have kids. But we are never going to separate. Even when our kids have their kids. We will be together till we grow old and die. What do you think Beryl?” She looked at me with expectant eyes.

My eyes had glazed over as she spoke. “I’m still stuck somewhere near next Christmas.” I replied.

“Don’t worry Beryl. Someday you will be able to match my high level thinking.” She grinned at me. “And you know what happened again?”

“What?”

“Blaise withdrew his name from both football and basketball team again.” She told me. Her words ignited the spark of curiosity within me.

“What do you mean? He came to school today?”

“Yes, he did. He was in my gym class. Coach Kelly was so pissed at Blaise. They argued a lot. Blaise decided he didn’t want to be in the team. There’s a rumor that Blaise is doing drugs. That’s why he can’t play. Tests were conducted today and it seems like Blaise didn’t take drugs. So everyone is still wondering why he had decided to drop out of the team. Do you have any idea?” She said in one breath.

I sat quiet still contemplating her words. Blaise taking drugs? Who had spread these rumors? If it was anyone other than the red head then I have a suspicion that the person is her accomplice.

“Who said that Blaise was taking drugs?” I asked leaning forward.

“I don’t know. Everyone was talking about it. I just heard it from them. Why?” She inquired and I shook my head not saying anything.

Wheels in my mind started turning. Things became clearer to me. Of course it has some connection. Basketball. Football. Drugs.

If it was proved that Blaise was taking drugs then it would be impossible for him to be a part of the team. He’d be banned. And he’d face even dire consequences. But I think the main goal of that person is to get Blaise out of the team. But who would want that. There can be one or many. I don’t have any idea. But since the red head had given Blaise drugs in more than one occasion then it might be...

Of course!

Drew Millers. That stupid boy. The red head’s boyfriend. I always knew something was not right with him. But I have to make my point stronger.

“Jessica?”

“Yeah?”

“Who was the captain of football team when Blaise took his name off?” I asked referring to the incident of past months when Blaise had decided not to be a part of football team.

“I guess it was Drew Millers. Why?” She asked confused.

I shook my head again.

Of course it was him. If Blaise is out of the team then the person who will benefit the most from it will be Drew Millers. That’s why he was planning to ruin Blaise because Blaise had taken the position of captain from him. So this was all it was about? Captainship of football team? One simple thing that threatened Blaise’ life. Drew was willing to destroy Blaise for one position.

But I was still not sure. These are mere assumptions. Hypothetical. They don’t mean anything unless I have solid proof that he is involved.

The problem is how on earth I am going to get the truth out of that boy. I’m not going to lie. The boy really scares me sometimes with his dangerous gray eyes. Now that I know he is really dangerous, it isn’t helping with the fear.

Maybe I should talk to Blaise. I really haven’t got any chance to talk to him about this matter. First I need to ask him what was happening. And there was no way I was going to drop the topic. He is hiding something from me. I can’t believe he is hiding something from me.

Blaise was not there for rest of the day. Meanwhile, as I was walking towards the locker, I saw Nick standing against it. I haven’t seen him since the day he had asked me out. That was a pretty awkward moment. I didn’t want to repeat of that incident so I swiftly took a turn and walked away from him and my locker.

I ventured to the territory that never belonged to me. My mind screamed at me for not being cautious. But I didn’t have time to hear that. My pulse was already racing as I watched the dirty blond haired beauty walked towards me with an angry look plastered on her face. She was wearing a tight bright pink tank top and matching shorts. The shorts were really…short.

Before Kim could reach me, I turned away and practically ran out of there. In the background I heard her cussing at me but I didn’t let that stop me.

First Nick and then Kim. I was running away from both of them.

My luck wasn’t on my side when I watched Emma heading towards me. I hadn’t talked to her since Nick had asked me out. I screamed mentally at my bad luck. Being targeted by popular students isn’t the exact thing in my mind. How did my life turn out like this?

I was about to turn around again and I did but that resulted me in slamming into a wall. It was not really a wall but the Great Wall of Drew Millers.

Suddenly I felt so small. I felt like I was surrounded by enemies from all sides.

“H-Hey,” I stuttered.

He smirked down at me; his gray eyes were glinting with evilness. “Hello Beryl. Nice to see you again.” He greeted in a sweet voice that made sent shivers down my spine.

“Nice to see you too,” I replied after collecting myself.

He opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by rude voice of Emma. “What are you doing here Drew?”

He looked at Emma and narrowed his eyes on her. “What are you doing here Emma? Where is your boyfriend?”

Emma bristled and I tried to get away from them knowing Nick was at my locker.

“That’s none of your business.”

“But I think it will be your business when you learn that Nick Conman is waiting for Beryl at her locker. Am I right Beryl?” He winked at me.

Coolness settled in my spine and I felt lightheaded as Emma glared at me. But that was not the only reason for my shock. It was Kim heading towards us with dark look on her face.

I really felt like I was surrounded by enemies.

And I didn’t know if I wanted to fight with them.

“Hey Kim,” I tried to act cheerfully. She glared at me and then looked at Drew and Emma.

“What are you two doing here?” She asked them angrily. She was angry at me and they both were going to be burnt by the fire of her wrath also. Why don’t I just act like a catalyst?

“They were talking about Nick. You know, where he is, since you once dated him. But then he dumped you for Emma.” I tried fidgeting.

“She didn’t dump me. I dumped him.” She screamed.

“Oh really? From what I remember he left you for me and you were left alone while I was with him. So he most definitely dumped you.” Emma retorted and cursed at Kim. Her words made me cringe.

“No one dumps me. And FYI I was with him the next night you gave him your virginity so easily.” Kim screeched called more bad names to Emma whose face turned red with anger.

“At least I kept it for that long. When did you lose your virginity and to who? A college student who left you the next morning?”

“No, it was Nick. And he was with me even weeks after that night. But he slept with five different girls in the week he slept with you.”

I was growing uncomfortable with their fight. They both were busy spewing insults at each other and telling about their time with Nick. I stole a glance at Drew who was glaring at the two girls as if he was going to chew their heads off.

Just when I was planning to leave them to their fight with students watching them around us, a new voice came that made me freeze.

“Drew,” an all too familiar feminine voice called and I snapped my head towards the red head approaching towards us. She put her arms around him and kissed him squarely. I grimaced and turned my gaze away from them, my head started throbbing real bad.

“Darling, leave them alone. Let’s go.” She said pulling him with her.

I didn’t know if my mind was playing tricks on me. I have heard that voice before. And I remember it very, very clearly because I replayed it in my head several times. I listened to it again and again sitting at my home to recognize whose voice it was.

“Seriously girl, he is mine tonight. And every night from now on. Right baby?”

“Now let us have some fun and you find someone else because he is mine.”

Maybe the realization hit me too heard or it was the negative energy in the air. The moment I realized that the girl who had answered Blaise’s phone that night was Drew’s red head girlfriend, my world turned black.

** **

Hello friends!
This chapter has only a little of Blaise. I promise the next chapter will have more of them.

What do you think about this chapter?

I was thinking about ship name of Blaise and Beryl. What it might be?

Blaryl
Berylaise
Beraise
Blaisyl

I don’t know. I never shipped any name in past. Why don’t you choose one?

-nerdinspects

PS: Also I'm going to post the prologue for my next story under title 'TBA'. It may give you better idea and you may come up with more names and make me more confused. As I don't know which one to select. I already love three names suggested to me so much. If you can suggest more then please check out the prologue. I'm going to post it in next two days.