Chapter Twenty Eight - You're a tease

Chapter Twenty Eight- You're a tease

I was leaning against Blaise’ black sedan waiting for him. He had asked me to wait by his car. Soon two figures entered my line of sight. It was Nick and Blaise. I wanted Nick to change his path if he was heading in my direction. I hadn’t talked to him properly after him asking me out. Now that I said ‘yes’ to Blaise, I have a feeling the conversation might be awkward.

An idea occurred to my slow brain. Why don’t I just hide? I would have acted on that stupid decision of mine if it was not for Blaise noticing me and waving his hand. That drew Nick’s attention as he also looked at me. I smiled tightly and waved back trying to keep my eyes away from Nick.

Blaise greeted me with a kiss on my cheek which caught me off guard. He stood beside me with his hand resting on my waist. A voice inside me said that it was moving way too fast. From holding hands in morning to holding waist in evening. What will happen by night?

My thoughts were interrupted as Nick also greeted me. I didn’t miss the way his blue eyes fixed on Blaise’s hand on my waist for a second or two. There was a slight irritation in them. If I didn’t know better, I would have assumed that Nick was jealous. But he is Nick and he is never jealous when it comes to girls.

“So you two are together now?” Nick looked between me and Blaise.

“Yes, we are.” Blaise said with surety. I could feel possessiveness oozing from him.

My hands itched to slap his arm away but then my mind travelled to that time, that time when Nick was teaching me to play basketball. He openly flirted with me. So I didn’t remove Blaise’s hand. Maybe it will tell Nick to never pull a stunt like that ever again. It was a long time ago but thanks to my good memory I don’t easily forget things. Especially those unforgettable, uncomfortable weird interactions with school’s playboy.

“And you two are coming to my birthday party tomorrow. You both have to come. Okay?” Nick persuaded with a smile. It was a warm smile. I didn’t smell any bad blood.

“Sure, we’ll come.” I answered.

He opened his mouth to say something but a shrill voice cut him off. Unease crawled up my spine as I watched the girl in yellow dress walking towards us. She was wearing a yellow spaghetti top and pale yellow shorts. Her blonde hair were pulled in a ponytail.

“It’s time to leave.” Blaise said and opened the door for me. I got inside as he went to his side. Shouting a goodbye to Nick, he drove off. Nick was left groaning in the clutches of Emma. It was apparent he was getting tired of her. He was tired of her. But she wasn’t leaving him just yet. And it looks like she won’t ever leave him as she slammed her lips against his. It also looked like he was finding it hard to leave her as he enthusiastically responded back.

We were soon out of the parking lot and on the road. The ride was silent. I didn’t want to say anything and Blaise seemed to be in same mood.

*

“Is it going to be a daily occurrence?” I asked the boy standing in front of me. The difference was we were on the either side of the window. “Or should I say nightly?” I added.

He looked at me sheepishly and smiled. “Can I come inside?” He asked.

I stepped away from the window. He jumped inside just like yesterday. He was wearing a leather jacket and his hair were messed up. There was no beanie this time. I closed the window behind him and he dove into the bed just like yesterday. I was leaning against the headboard. He was leaning against the support at the foot of the bed.

“Where were you? I didn’t see you after you dropped me home.” He was pretty much distracted most of the time. Nick was always at his throat. Whenever he tried to talk to me, that boy would whisk him away. It was irritating.

“Can I ask you something, Beryl?” He asked not answering my question.

“What?” I cocked my head to side and shifted. My foot brushed against his knee. He jerked at the contact as if my foot was ice. In the night of winter, I can’t make any other comparison.

“Is there any other boy you like?”

His question caught me off guard. Was he really asking me that? Liking some other boy? In what way though?

“Maybe Nick?” He prompted when I didn’t say anything for a minute.

“Or Tristan?” He was trying to gauge my reaction but I kept my face cool. Why was he asking that all of sudden? Where did this come from? Shouldn’t I be the one asking him that? He is the hottest boy of school and he is well… boy. He thought about the possibility of me liking someone other before I thought of him liking a hot girl like Kim. He thinks of all the things first.

“Blaise, why are you asking this?”

He only shrugged looking away. He didn’t want me to see his eyes, the emotions I could read there. But I was sure I caught a glimpse of hurt in them. I didn’t like seeing that. So I decided to answer the truth.

“No Blaise. I don’t like like anyone else but you.” I told him sincerely and his snapped to me. They were slowly filled with mirth but his expressions remained cool. “But what about you?”

“Since the moment I’ve seen you, there isn’t anyone else but you.” he replied and it made me feel elated. Is that what he felt hearing my answer? If so then I feel good making him feel like that.

Out of blue a question came in my mind that I had almost forgotten. Tristan. I haven’t talked to him ever since Christmas. That long forgotten challenge came in my mind.

“Blaise? Tristan once told me that you know his secret.” I asked him. He cocked his head to side and then nodded as if remembering it.

“Hmm,” he hummed. “He liked a girl.” He answered. My eyes widened only a fraction. The player Tristan Clark liked a girl. Or was he not a player before he met that girl. I’ve read storied about how a girl turns a boy into a player.

“Don’t tell me it’s one of those stories. Don’t tell me she is the reason he became a player.”

“Alright,” he drawled. “I won’t tell you that. You already know.”

I rolled my eyes at his answer. I could have never imagined that. But what did that girl do to make him a player. Don’t tell me she broke his heart.

“Who is that girl?” I inquired. I felt bad for the boy. From those romance books, unrequited love really hurts. Who might be the girl who didn’t return poor Tristan’s feelings?

“Kim Welsh,” he answered my question and I almost fell off the bed. For a moment I was stunned. Tristan Clark and Kim Welsh? What the heck is he talking about?

“Kim Welsh? Are you sure?” I was really shocked.

“Yes, I’m sure.” He looked at me. “He liked her and she told him she liked him too. They were together for a week before Kim decided that she didn’t like him anymore. It was at the beginning of freshman year. She tried making advances at me but was never successful. Then she thought Nick would be the best choice to help her being popular. Tristan was a forgotten story for her then.”

That was really heartless. She left Tristan for someone else. Tristan might be a jerk but I don’t think he deserved something like that. That was really low. I don’t understand these complexities of relationships. That’s why I was never in those troubles. But now I am.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

“What?” He asked when he watched my expression.

“Will you get tired of me?”

“What?” He looked surprised and offended by my question. “I don’t think I can ever get tired of you. You’re near me or away from me I don’t think I will ever stop liking you. I’ve liked you since the moment I saw you from the window of my car the day we came here. You were walking on the roadside with your step father.” He said. I stayed silent letting his words sink in. I tried to remember that day but nothing came up.

“You were wearing a pink top and white pant. Your long hair reached your back. It may sound so corny but you looked like an angel and I couldn’t remove my eyes from you. Initially I was unhappy on moving to new house but the moment I saw you, my gloomy mood evaporated. I’ve liked you for so long.” He whispered the last part.

I was surprised and gave him a tender look. Was it possible to like someone more than I already liked him? I wanted to draw him in my arms and hug him tightly. He had liked me for so long. Just like I liked him.

“But what about Lisa Martin?” I asked him. His eyes became stuttered by my question. If he liked me before why did he date Lisa?

“I’m not proud of what I did,” he mumbled. “When I came to school, every girl was around me. They were trying to talk to me. But I wanted you to do that. I wanted you to talk to me. You never did. Josh told me that he thought you liked me but I was doubtful. I wanted you to like me but I was not sure whether you really did. But if you really liked me, you would have been jealous. So I dated Lisa to make you jealous so that you would approach me.”

I stared at him wordlessly. “You were a jerk.” I said.

“I know. I should have known you didn’t like me.” He sighed hanging his head down.

“You’re still a jerk.” I muttered. He looked at me quizzically. We were again having heart-to-heart like yesterday night.

“If you liked me don’t you think you should have approached me instead of going with any other girl?” I asked surprising him. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish.

“I liked you too, you know.” I started softly. “I liked you the moment I saw you. I had never felt attracted to any guy before that. But then I saw you and it was really weird. I used to read romance books even then so I knew I liked you. I never had many friends. I was always anti social so I didn’t know how to talk to you.” I sighed.

“I never knew what was being popular and not being popular. I always lived in my own world where everyone was same. But I knew you were popular. I didn’t bother me at all. After a week you joined school, I decided to just go and talk to you. A simple conversation. A start. I was going towards your locker but then I saw you walking with Lisa. Everyone was saying that you two were couples and I didn’t like it. But you two were already together. I didn’t see the purpose to talk to you anymore knowing watching you two together would hurt me.”

He opened his mouth to say but I interrupted him.

“So I decided to shift my crush on Nick. It was so apparent that he was a certified jerk. He might be handsome and all but I never thought highly of him. It was hard to crush on him but I managed. That helped me to forget that I liked you. And it really helped. Until this year.” I explained.

There was a moment of complete silence as he observed me and soaked in my words. There was a fleeting look of self-loathing on his face that I didn’t like. I wanted to say something but I didn’t know what.

“I am so stupid.” He muttered running his hand through his hair. My fingers itched to do the same but more gently. I wanted to run my hands along those silky tresses and sniff his shampoo. I wanted to bury my face in his furry hair.

He looked frustrated and I realized he was stressed. His life was not going easy. His father was going to marry Stephanie. Even though I thought she was nice, he was finding it hard to accept her. And then Drew was making his life hell. He had to withdraw his name from basketball and football teams and was being summoned by coach very frequently. Then he was busy preparing for the birthday party of Nick.

I threw away covers and jumped off the bed. He stopped his actions and watched me with a frown. I maneuvered behind him.

“Beryl?” His voice was unsure. “Where are you going?”

I stood behind him and touched his hair loving the way my finger glided through them. “I’m here. Right behind you.” I answered in a whisper and massaged his scalp with my fingers. He moaned softly at my ministrations and relaxed.

“Blaise, I like you. Whatever happened in the past is a forgotten story. And I don’t think I was ready for any kind of relationship during that time. I was still reeling from the way I lost my father. I would have been really difficult for me to be with you. Things would have been a mess.” I said and he made a sound in his throat trying to say something but I cut him off.

“I believe that everything happens for a purpose. For a better good. If something good is sacrificed, something better is coming. If you drown yourself in self-loathing then it will only give you pain. And if you are in pain then those who care about you will also be in pain. And I care about you. A lot.”

“Thank you Beryl,” he murmured after a few moments of silence. I could feel his smile in his voice.

“My pleasure,”

I moved my hands lower to his shoulder and pressed my thumbs to the knots. He moaned again. I enjoyed the feel of his muscles under my fingers even though it was through the fabric of his shirt. The sounds he made satisfied me. Carefully, I leaned forwards and nuzzled my face in his head. Soft hair brushed my skin and tickled making me smile. I kissed a spot there and leaned back.

The sound of his chuckle filled air.

“What?” I asked.

“I think you’re taking advantage of me.” He stated.

“Are you complaining?”

“Nah, I’m enjoying.” He answered making me smile.

“Keep enjoying then.” I muttered brushing my fingers to the nape of his neck making him suck a sharp breath. His reaction made me smirk.

“You’re a tease,” he mumbled making me chuckle.

Again there was silence. The only sound was of him groaning or moaning. Even they had quieted down.

“Are you feeling okay?” I inquired softly after few minutes. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable. It was night time and I was also tired by the end of the day.

He didn’t answer me making me frown. I asked the same question again but there was no response from him. I stopped and walked around to find him sleeping. I didn’t know what to feel. But his sleeping face looked so innocent that I couldn’t remove my eyes from him. He looked so cute.

Deciding not to act like a stalker, I woke him up by shaking his arm. He jerked up with wide eyes and relaxed when he saw me.

“You slept on me.” I told him. He ignored me and yawned.

“I think I should go back now,” he said slipping on his jacket. I was a bit disappointed that he was leaving soon. We were really comfortable around each other. But he needed to go to his family.

He walked to window but I grabbed his hand and dragged him to front door. “You’re not a thief or a stalker. You can use the door.” I told him. I opened the door and we both stepped out.

I shivered as the cold air hit me. I was only in my t-shirt and pajamas. The moonlight was still bright. The day was before the full moon.

I looked up at the moon. It was shining there in its white glory. So beautiful. So cool.

“Hey Beryl,” Blaise said.

I looked up at him. He was staring right back at me. Then he stepped towards me. I faced him completely. We were only a feet away from each other. His eyes searched my face. They were so beautiful, so warm. His stare was caressing my face. It was soothing and exciting at the same time.

“You’re beautiful,” he mumbled softly, a voice barely above whisper but with immense emotion behind those words, as if he really meant them. I’m not going to lie. I liked it very much.

My own eyes admired his perfect features, especially those dark green eyes. Their color was so beautiful that I could stare at them all day and night. But I won’t because it would be creepy.

His eyes dropped and I knew where they went. I own eyes copied their movement and fell on his lips. They were soft. What would it feel like to touch them? To kiss them?

“Will I get my goodnight kiss now?” He asked in a whisper.

I smiled at him. A bright smile. “Sure,” I said and lifted myself up on my toes to bring my face close to his. He watched my face and then I kissed him. My lips brushed against his cheek. When I pulled away, Blaise’s eyes were closed. When he opened them, he gave me an amused look.

“You are a tease,” he poked my side with his index finger making me squeal and jump away. It made him laugh. I'm at ease.

“Goodnight,” I shoved him.

“Goodnight,” he said and walked away giving me a smile.

*** ***