Girl Meets Boy: Part One

The day had just begun, and Maya and I were currently dealing with a 7 on the Riley scale. The bell rang as we prepared to deal with her.

"Talk to him," Maya said of my brother, who was seated on the bench near the lockers where we were. Riley sighed.

"Why? We have a great text relationship," she replied, smiling giddily.

"You know what's a better text relationship?" I asked.

"What?" Riley responded, still bearing her (painful?) grin.

"Talk to him," Maya and I told her sternly. "He's right over there!" I yelled exasperatedly.

"Noooo! Too complicated over there. Lots can go wrong over there. The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there," Riley said. I sighed and tugged on my hair impatiently.

"Do you want me to go get him?" Maya offered. Riley violently shook her head. As a last resort, I pointed Riley in Lucas's direction and she reluctantly walked over.

Hiding behind the bench he was on, Riley started trying to say hi but ended up making weird mouth motions.

Maya looked close to being horrified while I slapped my forehead. "She looks like she's trying to chew cement," I mumbled to Maya.

"Talk to him," the blonde mouthed back. Riley nodded, suddenly serious and turned back to Lucas. Then, the weirdest thing happened. She started to sniff (WHAAAT?!) my brother's neck! She continued to do so for about ten more seconds then smiled and walked back to us.

"You smelled him," Maya said the minute she approached us.

"Yup," Riley said proudly.

"You smelled him is what you did." I repeated. "As his sister for a solid 12 years, I can confidently say that he doesn't usually smell good."

Riley ignored me, saying dreamily to herself, "I walk through life, the way I walk through life." She entered the classroom and I followed her.

"Can we please talk about this?" I heard Maya ask from the lockers. She must've gotten a text or something, because I heard the beep of her phone. "Nope," she said and sauntered into the classroom.

When the lesson started, Mr Matthews began by lecturing us about our cell phone usage. He held one up.

"You guys don't connect with each other. It's like you can't exist without these. You use emoticons rather than emotions. You're an unfeeling generation of zombies!" He spat. Riley, Maya and I started to mimic zombies.

"Stop eating her," he said to the three of us. We moved back into our seats, giggling. Just then, a girl I had never really noticed before walked in. I had only been there a couple days, after all. "You're late, Miss Myzell."

Myzell looked at Mr Matthews. "My goldfish died," she said flatly. Mr Matthews must've seen it as an opportunity, because he launched into his lecture again.

"You see? This is what I'm talking about. Miss Myzell has clearly suffered a tragic loss. Yet, she does not seem in touch with her actual emotions!" He exclaimed. Myzell looked offended.

"Excuse me? I am crying my eyes out. I'm gonna have to leave class early," she said again with the same flat tone. With that, she exited the room. Mr Matthews looked surprised.

"Oh, she actually made it out the door this time." He told us, then opened the door to reveal Myzell still standing there. "I actually made it out the door this time!" She laughed.

Riley picked up her phone. "Dad, adjust and deal. Cell phones have been around for like, ever."

"It'll amaze you to know that there was a whole world before you and cell phones," he retorted.