Girl Meets Runaway

A/N: This is another filler chapter- a short one- because Mr Squirrels was all about Riley and Maya but that's not who this book is about, is it? I felt like there wasn't enough emphasis on the bond and on the struggles Lucas and Hadley face together and separately, but as siblings. Also, I want to address the Harkle status, which I've been sweeping under thr carpet for far too long. I wanted to write this to get the scene out of my head and also because I felt super guilty for torturing Hadley all the time :( This short chapter is about her relationship with the two most important boys in her  life.

@alohiha convinced me to turn the story around from the original draft with her adorable comments, so thanks much! This chapter is for you!

-

"Mrs Matthews, have you seen Hadley?"

"What? No, I haven't Lucas, it's late. Is something wrong?"

"Hadley left the house and now we can't find her anywhere. She must've got up when my aunt and I were asleep."

"Oh my God. Well, where do you think she might have gone?"

"Home."

"If she were to go back to the house then I would just wait-"

"She went home. To Texas."

-

You have 54 missed calls.

I sighed and stuffed my phone in the pocket of my jacket. The night chill was especially nippy that night, and even a scarf and a windbreaker couldn't keep out the cold.

New York was super bipolar with the weather, as I had come to realize the hard way. Double checking that my ticket was still with me, I leaned against the metal pillar, breathing in the cool, damp air.

I exhaled through my pursed lips and imagined I were blowing cigarette smoke. You ran away from home, I told myself. You're a bad girl now.

An hour or so passed while I occupied myself with my imagination, drawing up fantasies and wonderful things about home. The train pulled into the station.

"This train is bound for Austin, Texas," a deep, gravelly voice announced. I clutched the end of my scarf and walked into the cabin stiffly, hoisting my duffel bag onto my shoulder.

I  found my seat and took it, shoving my bag under. A wizened old woman sat behind me. She had small, pale eyes and immediately took out her knitting.

The true gravity of what I had done didn't strike me until the final moment.

"Please take your seats. We will be departing in fifteen minutes."

"Hadley!"

My head snapped up. I turned all around frantically, looking through the windows, until I spotted them- Farkle and Lucas, running toward the platform at full speed.

I stood up, accidentally elbowing the old woman's needles apart.

"Watch yourself, ya drongo!" She yelled in a thick accent.