Girl Meets Flaws

Please please read A/N at the bottom. It's very important! :)

-

On the first day of the school week Farkle was not in class. Also, there was a partridge in a pear tree. No, I'm not kidding, there was a literal partridge in my aunt's pear tree. Ask Lucas. He was there- he was the one who was drooling all over the stupid bird. I bet he has it as his wallpaper now.

Anyway, Other Genius was not in class, and Mr Matthews was freaking out. There was a little machine thing on his desk to replace him.

"What is this? Farkle's never missed a class in his life!" He exclaimed. I shrugged.

Then Mr Matthews turned on me. "You! You're the girlfriend. You would know!"

I just shook my head. "Not anymore, sir." Before he had a change to interrogate me, the bell rang. Riley got up to speak with her dad, and as usual Maya and I stayed with her.

"Yus?" Mr Matthews asked expectantly.

"Everybody's getting an award but me. What good is having you as my teacher if the fix ain't in?!" Riley demanded. Mr Matthews shrugged.

"I'm sorry, Riley." He said. I tugged on Riley's wrist.

"Riles, you don't need a trophy to make you feel good about yourself," I told her quietly.

She looked at Maya and I sadly. "Yes, I do. Sometimes I feel kind of invisible."

Right then, Farkle's voice came through his little machine. "Sometimes you want to be invisible, Riley. Believe me."

I narrowed my eyes. "What? What does that even mean?" I said, partly to myself. Maya shrugged, and both of us shorter beings turned to Riley.

"Farkle now," she said and we left the classrooms. I spotted Lucas chatting up that Billy Ross kid from earlier. 

"Lucas," I called. "We're going to look for Farkle. Come help out your sister, would ya?" At which point Billy himself offered to come look too. 

So together we prowled the hallways of John Quincy Adams Middle School, all the while keeping a sharp eye out for Farkle's helmet hair.

Lucas left to check the library, Billy wandered off to accomplish Billy things. That left the me and the girls to look around the hallways. After a solid 12 minutes, both boys returned.

"I looked in the library," Lucas said as he caught up to us."He's not there."

Then Billy walked into the hallway we were in. "Hey guys. I checked the ball field. No Farkle," he reported nonchalantly. Huh, I thought. It's like he doesn't even care.

I snorted. "You looked on the baseball field for Farkle? Billy, are you even trying?" The guy just shook it off.

"Not really." Yup, he doesn't care. As I watched Billy leave for his locker, the door we were standing in front of swung open.

Janitor Harley stepped out with The Boy Who Missed Class. "Troubled lad, I now release you to the hands of your caring friends, 'cause they...have time for this." He went back into his custodial suite, as it were, and shut the door behind him.