Girl Meets Smackle

Okay, let me get something straight before we start here- Isadora Smackle was smarter than me. Alright? I said it. She was smarter, and better, and that day at the inter-school debate I was beyond...well, I was whatever the next thing is. I guess you could say I was jealous.

Anyway, the tension was so thick in the air you could cut it with a knife. Smackle had just finished her speech and the time for revealing the winner had come.

"Well, before I announce the winner, let me remind you all that our final debate of the season will be held right here next week, where our thought-provoking topic will be "Is beauty only skin deep?" I saw Smackle making a face as Mr Matthews received the paper.

"So the winner of today's debate is..." Farkle stood up but Mr Matthews pushed him back down into his seat. Oof. That must've hurt.

"Isadora Smackle, Einstein Academy!"

Riley turned to Maya, Lucas and I as everyone clapped. "It looks like our debate team could use some help," she said, stating the obvious.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Smackle's definitely got game."

"She beats Farkle every time. You think he's gotten used to it by now?" Riley asked. I looked over to Farkle only to find him lying on the floor and moaning.

"It hurts," he moaned. The crowd just avoided him by stepping over him. Maya, Riley and I got up.

"Nope. Good thing we're there for him. Being there for him is the most important thing we can be-- " Maya started, then looked to the left with wide eyes. It was a platter of melon balls.

"Melon balls."
"Ooh," Riley breathed and they walked over to devour them. I let them go and approached Farkle, sitting down on the floor next to him.

"You okay, big baby boo?" I teased. He smiled at my voice and pushed himself up into a sitting position.
"Well hello, girlfriend lady," he said.

"You're such a weirdo," I said as he scooted closer.
"You have a valid point. However, I am separated from the general weirdo populace as I am your weirdo."

He was going to lean in for a kiss when some footsteps interrupted us. It was Smackle. Wow, who else would cut into our moment like that? Not Riley or Maya. They wouldn't.

She took Farkle's hand and shook it. "Valiant effort as usual, my arch-nemesis. Perhaps a smoothie would take the sting out of my latest victory," she told him.

"Isadora, I have a girlfriend. But yeah, perhaps you're right. We'll go see," Farkle said, taking my hand. He was about to stand up and sorta...pull me with him when Smackle totally kneed him back onto the floor. Seriously. Her knee was on his back.

"Smackle, you fool! You forgot how literal he is. Farkle," she stood up as she spoke to herself. "I meant would you like to get a smoothie with me?"

Farkle stood up that time and I followed suit. He held up our entwined hands. "Isadora, what part of "Arch-Nemesis" and "I have a girlfriend" do you not understand?" I blushed as he squeezed my hand.

"Farkle, you might find this hard to believe, but I am a significant amount of fun. Would you like to see my fun face?"

"That would be of interest to me." Smackle didn't do anything different. "Proceed."

"I'm doin' it!" She protested. Thankfully, Riley walked over.

"Well, Farkle, good job being smart and everything!" She praised him and hugged Farkle. Now, this I didn't mind, because they've been friends for years and years. And they respect our relationship.