Hazel

First outfit.             

Hazel didn't have time to laugh at Annabeth's sudden outburst of un-Annabeth-like behavior. At that moment, Luke came barreling around the corner Annabeth had turned only minutes earlier. He stopped short, seeing them. 

"Annie, Hazel, what are you doing out of bed?" Annabeth bristled at being called Annie, but didn't have the chance to comment. "The guards have just captured a old woman and a little girl down at the front steps. Roman." Frank jolted and it seemed to be only then that Luke noticed them.

"If you hurt them-" Luke pulled his sword on Frank, who, to his credit, didn't back down.

"Roman!" 

"Luke! He's a friend!" Hazel shouted, throwing herself in front of him. Luke retracted his blade slightly, but remained on his guard, shooting Hazel an incredulous look.

"He's Roman!" he cried.

"He's my husband!" Hazel retorted indignantly. Luke raised his eyebrows and looked at Annabeth.

"We had this conversation as well." she admitted. "You can believe them." Luke sighed, lowering his sword.

"The king will have to be consulted. I will bring you to him and he will pass judgment."

"He'll kill him!" Hazel protested. 

"It's the middle of the night," Annabeth chided. "Can't this wait until morning? You can see he's not a threat, why wake the king?"

"The king is already awake," Luke informed them. His eyes narrowed on Frank. Hazel noticed that his eyes flickered over the golden eagle on his armor. "I assume that where there are Romans, there are more close by." Frank nodded grimly. Luke sighed. "I feared as much. Come, Roman. May the king judge you fairly."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your name, Roman." Hazel hugged herself nervously. With some dangerously bold protesting, she had been allowed to sit in on the hearing. The long day was starting to weigh on her, but she couldn't afford to waver. Frank's life hung in the balance.

"Frank Zhang," Frank announced carefully but confidently. He was on one knee in front of the king. "Legionnaire of the Roman Legion."

"I assumed as much," the king said. "Zhang, you have broken into my castle in the middle of the night. Tell me why I shouldn't have you killed immediately."

"Your Highness, I come only to warn you of an impeding threat to your kingdom. The Roman Legion awaits dawn outside the city. They will attack in the morning."

"And how do I know this isn't a trap? Why should I believe you? What motivations might a Roman legionnaire have to warn Greece of a Roman attack?"

"My wife, your highness. She fled Rome four years ago. She resides here, in your castle. She works for you. I would risk my own life for hers." The king shifted in his throne, considering Frank with a curious gaze.

"And risk your life you have," he said idly. His eyes landed on Hazel. "I suppose this is her?" he gestured to Hazel. Frank nodded, respectfully avoiding eye contact, his head slightly bowed. He considered this. "Come here, Hazel." Hazel come forward, standing a few feet away from Frank. She curtsied.

"Your highness."

"Can you confirm that this is your husband?"

"He is, sir." The king nodded, considering this too.

"As I recall, I had my doubts about you, Hazel, when you were brought to this throne room four years ago. But my daughter advocated for you, and I took a chance on you." The room was silent. Hazel's heart pounded. The corner of the king's mouth turned upward a little, forming a small smile. "And I'm glad I did. You've served my daughter and I well, and I trust you. For this reason, I will take another chance. My ruling is that Frank Zhang is innocent of crime against Greece." Hazel squealed happily, and threw herself at Frank almost before he had a chance to stand. 

"As for the old woman and little girl waiting outside." Frank turned to face the king. Hazel squeezed his hand nervously. "They will not be harmed. They are your family?" Frank nodded anxiously. "Then they may stay too." Frank let out a sigh of relief, and hugged Hazel tightly. She returned the embrace. Maybe tomorrow would bring war. But right now, she felt more whole than she had in four years. She felt safe, she felt happy, she felt complete.

"You may leave," the king permitted. Frank bowed, and Hazel curtsied. 

"Thank you, your highness," Hazel said gratefully. The king smiled. Frank took her hand, and lead her out of the throne room. 

A guard lead them to where Jade and Frank's grandmother were being held. As soon as Jade saw her father, she jumped up and ran to him. She jumped into his arms. 

"Daddy!" she looked up, grabbing his face like little kids do. "Gamma said there was mean people. They were going to hurt us. Why were the mean people going to hurt us?"

"Don't worry about the mean people," Frank said. "You're safe from them now."

"Okay!" she threw her arms back around her dad's neck, smiling wide. Hazel noticed Mrs. Zhang sitting in a chair. She had a bowl of broth in her hands. She smiled a little at Hazel. 

"It's good to see you Hazel. Frank needs a strong woman in his life." Hazel smiled. She had always liked Mrs. Zhang.

"It's good to see you too. I'm so relieved you guys are safe." Her eyes flitted anxiously to Jade. Jade pulled away from her dad to look down at Hazel. She kicked to be let down and ran up to her, her eyes a little wide and shining with excitement. She motioned with one finger for Hazel to come closer and Hazel bent down, her heart hammering at her ribcage. This was her daughter. Her little girl she hadn't seen in four years. Jade looked into her eyes.

"You're my mommy, aren't you?" Hazel grinned with relief at her delighted tone.

"Yeah, I am." Without any warning, Jade threw herself into Hazel's arms. Not that she was complaining. She held Jade tight. It felt so good to hold her. And with her there, safe in her arms, the memory of her flooded into Hazel's mind. When Jade pulled away she grabbed Hazel's face like she had Frank's. 

"Daddy's told me all about you," she said, her gold eyes blazing. Hazel wondered if she looked that intimidating to other people when she spoke. Probably not. Jade was way bolder than her. 

"Well your Daddy has told me almost nothing about you," she whispered with a smile. "Do want to come upstairs and get to know each other?" Jade nodded excitedly. 

"You're just going to leave me?" Frank pouted. Hazel smirked. 

"You and I can catch up later. I have four years to make up for with Jade." Frank rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. 

"Fine. I suppose I can wait."

Like you had any say in the matter."

"Ouch! What is it with Greece and sass?"

"I guess it just has an effect on people." As she walked up the stairs with Jade, she ran into Piper, Annabeth, and Rachel. Piper gasped. 

"Is this your daughter?"

"She looks just like you," Rachel cooed. 

"We were about to head upstairs to get to know each other."

"Can they come too?" Jade asked. 

"Of course."