Rachel

Rachel knew that when the clanging of the sword's stopped, her trouble would begin. She was chained in the repulsive man's tent, and she knew she would not like whatever he wanted with her. She would rather die.

The sounds of battle died down and Rachel knew that the remaining troops would return to their camp to recuperate, heal and rest. Rachel struggled to find anything she could use to pick the lock to no avail. Instead, her loose fingers found a vail of a dark grey liquid. She uncorked it and bent down to smell it cautiously. As she recorked it she smiled. She recognized it too well from her spare hours working in the medical wing in the castle.

It was a popular war poison that the Roman's used on Greek spies, captured Greek soldiers, and Romans convicted of treason. It killed in under a minute, depending on the immune system of the victim, and was Rachel's escape. She clutched the vial in her fingers, waiting.

Finally she heard what she had been waiting for. A few yards away she heard the mans speaking with his soldiers.

"-over there. Have it ready for when the fighting starts up again. Where did you put the carrot-topped witch?" Rachel glared a whole through the tent.

"She's chained up in your tent like you asked, Octavian."

"Good. Go do that and I'll meet you in a minute for battle strategy. I'll just drop in and say hello." As his footsteps grew closer, Rachel uncapped the vial. She readjusted her grip on it and with only a moment's hesitation, downed it without a second thought. It burned on the way down, and tasted like vinegar, ground grotto root, and cod liver oil. She threw the vial away just as Octavian entered through the tent, grinning creepily.

"Hello." Rachel struggled against the bonds as he came closer, playing the part even though he was falling right into her trap. Without speaking any more, he grabbed her chin and kissed her. He pulled away quickly to her relief, with a disgusted look on his face.

"You taste like fish!" He grabbed a flask of water from the corner and gulped down some water. All of a sudden, he dropped the flask, spilling water all over the floor of the tent. He fell down to the floor, shuddering violently. Still shaking, he rolled onto his stomach to glare at Rachel, who was rapidly losing the ability to breathe.

"You!" With her last breath she muttered.

"Checkmate."