Pretty fly for a white guy

https://open.spotify.com/track/15HadeuRG9THazDGzLH8ZU

Pretty fly (for a white guy) - The Offspring

I sat in a sunlounger smelling burned barbeque burgers and freshly mown grass while reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
My mum was happily talking away over at the barbecue area with Sarah and Mark, whose sunlounger I was occupying and whose food I would be eating soon. My mum and I lived in an old house she inherited from my grandparents on the other side of our university town. We didn't have any other relatives and I couldn't ever remember having seen my dad.
Sarah was my mum's oldest friend and I had grown up seeing her and Mark as practically family. I had stayed with them when my mum on occasion needed a babysitter and still saw their house as my second home.

"Hey there, short stuff," I heard a boy's voice as a shadow covered my book.

He sat down at the foot of my lounger and lifted my book so he could see the cover.

Simon was Sarah and Mark's son, my age and one of my best friends as a result of spending ridiculous amount of time together growing up.

"Good choice of reading," he nodded.

"Hey yourself. You still time yourself for food I see?" I replied looking up at the friendly face under long golden hair, usually tied back in a ponytail but for the moment hanging over his bright blue eyes.

"Yeah well. I'm a growing boy," he laughed.

"Simon. There you are. How was band practice," Sarah asked seeing he had arrived.

"It was good. We've got a key to a room on campus so we'll be moving out of Ethan's garage next week," he said.

"They didn't want to come over and get some of all this food? Seems we've cooked for a small army again," his mum said pointing to a mountain of food.

"I didn't ask. Figured Izzy here might get boy overload," he grinned.

I sat up and whacked him with my book.

"What? You still behave as if boys have cooties," he teased.

"I do not!" I laughed.

Sarah went back to the kitchen shaking her head. Our fights were nothing new.

"Sure you do. You've had, what...one boyfriend?" he asked a bit more quietly. This was one of his recurring themes. As if my lovelife was his personal responsibility.

"Yeah. And?" I retorted.

"And you were only with him coz you thought you had to say yes when he asked," Simon replied.

I whacked him again. He grinned.

"And then there was that one boy last summer..." Simon taunted.

"You did not just bring that up!" I gave him my best glare while blushing at the memory of a still nameless boy I still cringed at the memory of. I threw a sideways glance to make sure all the parents were out of earshot. I really had no desire for my mum to know of my embarrassment.

Simon caught my look and lowered his voice.

"You phoned me, crying, from a random payphone at two in the morning. How can I not bring it up?" Simon laughed.

"You are an ass!" I hissed.

"If you can't stand the heat, don't start a fire," he grinned.

"I rang you because I didn't know who else to call," I said with a glare his way.

"And ever since, you have behaved as if boys are evil," he smirked.

I gave him a warning look.